News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Identify this butt set

Started by zapper, April 18, 2013, 09:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapper

Purchased yesterday, was told the seller was given this butt set in the 1960's from a neighbor in BrooklynN.Y.. Clips are labeled Frankel Connector Co Inc. N.Y.  2AB Dial, cords have a paper tag NO 795 cord length Pat Nov 3rd, 1914. Weighs almost 2 lbs.  The body looks like an aluminum AE Butt set.
Thanks
Zapper(Steve)

paul-f

Is there a D- number stamped on the handle?

The style looks somewhat like some shown here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html#Dspec

I believe the castings were used by AE and others as well, so it's possible the set was refurbed or converted during its lifetime.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

zapper

Hello Paul,
has the letter C  on the rectangle part above the button.

poplar1

May be made by AE but arranged to accept a WE dial. AE provided step-by-step switches for the Bell System starting in 1919 at Norfolk, VA. The first 50ALs were made by WE except for the AE Mercedes dials. At first, the early butt sets like this had AE dials even when used by Bell.

Also, a NY Telephone installer/repairman said he remembered the metal butt sets; he used them to subdue viscious dogs when working in New York City.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

I have heard from those who remember metal butt sets as well. Look out when usung them outside when it is raining!

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 19, 2013, 12:54:49 AM
I have heard from those who remember metal butt sets as well. Look out when usung them outside when it is raining!

Terry

Something akin to the story of the dog barking when the phone rang when it rained? :D

Bill

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is a D75959 butt set, as pictured on Paul's site. I picked one up last year - now I don't know what to do with it. The stamped letter "C" has something to do with the operation, rather than the model number.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7586.0

Bill

poplar1

ISTR that there was a metal clip that you slid over the button to switch from monitor to talk. Anyone that can confrim this?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

There should be a Bell System Practice IIRC that was scanned by Steph Kerman in the TCI Library for the D-version.

It is common knowledge that (C) stands for the condenser which is in the circuit when the switch is in that position, so you can monitor the line. When the switch is in the other position, the condenser is shorted out.

This specific buttset may or may not be coded the specific (D) number as shown on Paul's site.

The Bell System used metal buttsets manufactured either by Automatic Electric and Western Electric for use with their Strowger offices and PBX's since 1915, prior to the 1919 Norfolk installation. Some of them used either A.E.C.o. or W.E.C.o. dials.

paul-f

The use of the C button is described in the BSP referenced on my site.

I don't see a copy in the Library, but you can find at least one copy by doing an internet search for BSP "100-120-101"

http://pdfs.telephonearchive.com/bsps/100/bsp_100-120-101.7.pdf
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line