News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

If that's a cloth handset cord, it's in great shape. Your famous quote "Every Phone Room Needs a Lamp" here is a picture of my Imperial lamp.
Gary

Doug Rose

Very nice Gary!

When You you get a lemon, make lemonade. I would not make a phone into a lamp, but if it is  already a lamp I will use at as such.

Yours is beautiful...Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

I was hoping someone would rotate it :)
Gary

dsk

Like this?   ;) dsk

Key2871

Argh!! How could anyone do that!! That was a nice set.
Oh Lord the agony...
KEN

MMikeJBenN27

It is a shame when that happens.  What has to be done when packing a phone, first and foremost, is to pack the phone COMPLETELY.  That means handset off the phone, and packing under, around, AND, ON TOP of the phone.  It can't be able to move around.  I have received phones and other types of items that were "packed" with no packing on top of item, so, of course, it was broken.  But above all, you MUST ship it "Special Handling" with the yellow "Fragile" stickers on it.  Paying the extra $12.00 is cheap compared to refunding the customer his money.

Whitcrane76

Literally, one square foot of bubble wrap and a fragile sticker.  It was a nice princess.

HarrySmith

Quote from: MMikeJBenN on April 07, 2020, 06:01:52 AM
It is a shame when that happens.  What has to be done when packing a phone, first and foremost, is to pack the phone COMPLETELY.  That means handset off the phone, and packing under, around, AND, ON TOP of the phone.  It can't be able to move around.  I have received phones and other types of items that were "packed" with no packing on top of item, so, of course, it was broken.  But above all, you MUST ship it "Special Handling" with the yellow "Fragile" stickers on it.  Paying the extra $12.00 is cheap compared to refunding the customer his money.

I have shipped many phones both here & international without a single break. I use medium flat rate box for most phones and never paid for special handling. As you stated be sure handset is off the cradle and it is wrapped all around. The key is after placing it in the box to pick it up & shake it, if anything moves you need more packing. If nothing can move inside the box it cannot break unless the USPS runs it over with a truck. Just my 2 cents:)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

I just shipped this past week 12 Contempra telephones from here in Ontario to Alberta 3740 Kms or 2324 Miles. With the Contempra square body shape, I wrapped the handsets with a thick layer of stretch wrap. Placed it back on the phone and tightly wrapped them together. I used 2 banana boxes taped together to ship them. Each box had 2 layers of 3 phones. I used bubble wrap in the boxes around each phone so they couldn't move. Total weight of the package was 47 lbs. The phones arrived safe sound without a complaint.

I should add that when it comes to shipping other phones, I do not leave the handset on.

HarrySmith

Nice job! as I stated earlier if they can't move they don't break. Wrapping them like that was a great idea, less packing than bubble wrap.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 15, 2020, 11:22:30 AM
Nice job! as I stated earlier if they can't move they don't break. Wrapping them like that was a great idea, less packing than bubble wrap.

Stretch wrap can be picked up at any packing supply store. U-haul or UPS, it might even be at some dollar stores. I use this type, the roll is half the size it was. Shows how much I use. Makes it easy and less hassle.

MMikeJBenN27

About 3 or 4 years ago, I sold a rare TURQUOISE 500 that was in very good shape.  The seller decided, after receiving it, that he didn't like it, so he sent it back.  As you can guess, he didn't pack it right, and the shell was badly cracked, and the ringer did not work.  I had a  spare ringer with the right date, and I eventually found another turquoise shell, but it was pretty discolored.  I managed to sell it, but for a cheap price, it just wasn't the same. 

Mike

SUnset2

I just received this 1500 with the bubble wrap folded neatly and laid on top.
Does anybody have an extra Beige Western Electric Touch-Tone case (non-modular)?

HarrySmith

I think I have a beige case. It is probably for a 2500 but that should not matter. I will look tonight and let you know.

EDIT: I found 2 Beige cases, slightly different shades. PM sent.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Not a bit of packing....None!
Kidphone