News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Chair Identification/Evaluation?

Started by HobieSport, January 01, 2010, 01:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

I'm trying to find out what I can about these two old chairs that I inherited from a dear old friend. I don't have room for them, so I'm probably just going to sell them. I'm guessing that they're not of much value, but I'd appreciate it if some of you folks "in the know" about old furniture might be able to tell me something about them.

The rattan seated chair has an original label:

"Heywood & Morrill Rattan Co Chigago"

I did a quick search and came up with this brief bit of history of the company, written on an antique forum about a different rattan deck chair:

"The company we have come to know as Heywwod-Wakefield went through a number of corporate forms and formats before settling on Heywood-Wakefield. Your chair was made when the company was known as the Heywood Brothers & Wakefield Co. That company was formed in 1897 with the merger of Heywood Brothers & Co, Heywood & Morrill Rattan Co. and the Wakefield Rattan Co. The company used the Chicago factory formerly used by Heywood & Morrill. In 1921 after the acquisition of Lloyd Manufacturing, the company was reformed as H-W. That means your chair was made between 1897 and 1921, probably in Chicago. It probably was made for use on a ship or at a club."

Anyway, if anyone can tell me anything about the chairs I'd appreciate it. I don't like selling good old things if I don't know more about them.

-Matt

-Matt

foots

Matt, those are very nice chairs and I wish I were closer to you as I'd like to have them. That chair on the right is identical to the chairs at my aunt's kitchen table - though they were her dad's originally so I have absolutely no idea how old they are.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

bwanna

matt...if i am reading your information correctly, the rattan chair pre-dates 1897.  it is probably worth a little bit of cash. do you think the windsor style chair is from the same time period?
donna

Bill

I think the chair on the right is known as a Windsor chair. I can't speak to its age, but they have been made continuously for a long time. If it is truly old (meaning 1600s or 1700s), it is a treasure. We have one very like it, in a style without arms - not truly old, unfortunately. Talking off the top of my head, I think that a "Windsor chair" referred to a style of chair, rather than a manufacturer. In the early days, at least, they were made by Hitchcock Company in "Hitchcocksville, Conn" (now Riverton). Sadly, I think the Hitchcock just went out of business, after all that time.

Anyway, the web has a lot of info on your chair. Good luck - and don't junk it!

Bill

bwanna

i found a little info about the windsor chairs in one of my reference books. sorry i don't have a web link, will have to type it all out.

windsor chairs originated in england in the early 1700's. made by wood turners (bodgers) who set up temporary woodshops in woodland areas. of course, since then they have come to be mass produced.

i have some more info on materials & construction. i won't bore everyone here with it. hobie if you want i will pm you or hit me on FB.
donna

HobieSport

I am a little familiar with the history of Windsor chairs and the style does indeed date centuries back in England.  But keep in mind that "Windsor" is now just a name for a style.

This Windsor looks to be turn of the century to 1920's to me. I just found a label on it, but I need daylight and a magnifier to read it. If the label is readable, I'll do some research on the chair and let y'all know.

The Merrill-Wakefield chair does indeed seem very much turn of the century, looking at the woodwork and hardware used. I think I've found my answers on that one. I love playing antiques sleuth. 8)
-Matt