News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hash marks on bottom of phone.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 18, 2010, 01:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I've had several phones with the hash marks on the bottom, up until this morning I wasn't sure what it was from, until DUH it hit me. It's from the phone laying on the cord.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

Nice phone there, Dan.  Looks like a 6/51.  Does it have an equalizer?  IIRC, the C/D designation may indicate the 425B network, but nothing seems to be etched in stone about what's under the cover on these things.
Ralph

Kenny C

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 18, 2010, 01:54:30 PM
I've had several phones with the hash marks on the bottom, up until this morning I wasn't sure what it was from, until DUH it hit me. It's from the phone laying on the cord.
D/P

i do that all the time some times pepole will tell a joke and 5 minutes later i bust out laughing
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Not here yet, just a photo.
I will let you know what's under the hood.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Quote from: rp2813 on April 18, 2010, 02:11:35 PM
Nice phone there, Dan.  Looks like a 6/51.  Does it have an equalizer?  IIRC, the C/D designation may indicate the 425B network, but nothing seems to be etched in stone about what's under the cover on these things.

Phone detectives will quickly note that there are two empty holes on the side of the bottom plate near the cord entry point.  If there was an equalizer (500, A or B) or terminal strip (500T, J or K) there would be rivet heads there.

QUIZ:  What are the other three empty holes for?

These skills will help you quickly identify variations while cruising the flea markets and phone shows.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

JorgeAmely

The little hole is for the 426A tube.

The other larger holes are for the mounting hardware for volume control (ex: 532), line selection (ex: 510), etc.,  for other 5xx models.
Jorge

paul-f

Well done, Jorge!

Thanks for adding the extra details.   :)

While we're on the subject, can someone else explain the purpose of each of the 13 rivets we can see?

What primary lesson from basic geometry did Western Electric use when deciding how many rivets to use on this set?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rp2813

LOL--thanks Paul.  I guess I could have just reached for my 10/50 and looked at the bottom (which has the two rivets) to answer my own question, but you have managed to point out the lack of rivets in a way that I'll remember when I come across an early 500.

The 6/51 looks very clean.  I look forward to hearing more about its components once it has made its way into D/P's hands.
Ralph