News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Replacing cord on E1 handset

Started by Greg G., July 01, 2009, 05:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Ok, so far, so good.  Picked up a subset and dial for my 202.  With Bill G's (Phonesrfun) help, I got the subset hooked up for now and it works fine.  Had a friend call me and we talked for a bit, good audio, no static or crackling noises.  Installing the dial will come later.

However, I still want to replace the cloth cords, particularly the handset cord because it's frayed.  Unscrewing the caps it appears that there's more to be dismantled because I can't see how to get at the cord connections inside.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

The last photo you posted shows the transmitter cup.  That aluminum piece also screws off revealing the handset cord attachments underneath.  These are sometimes difficult to remove.  A strap wrench is a great help.

bingster

Here's a photo of an E1 completely disassembled.  You can see how the different parts fit together (and are supposed to come apart).  Getting the transmitter aligned properly when reassembling is a bit tricky, but a bit of fiddling with the transmitter's spacer (the curvy plastic part) will get it lined up properly.

Transmitter parts, in order:

Spacer, transmitter cup, transmitter element, screen, cap.

Receiver parts, in order:

Spacer, receiver element, diaphragm, cap.

= DARRIN =

bingster

Just a quick thought about the subset... If your mounting cord still has the "S" hook on the restraint, it slips over the black hook that's circled in red, below.  Then the conductors are routed behind the metal clip that rests against the induction coil (marked by the arrow).  That keeps the conductors from running over top the ringer, preventing interference with the ringer, or wearing the cloth of the wires.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Once you do get the transmitter cup off the handle the cord will be held in by a retainer that is screwed to the back of the inside of the handle.  Also, there are the three leads that will be screwed to three terminals.  The wires are Black, Red, and White, and will be screwed to terminals that are labeled BK, R, and W.  Sometimes the BK is simply B.  Don't get all excited....This is one of those rare times when the terminal ID's actually DO correspond with the cord colors.  

Anywho, unscrewing these will allow you to pull the cord back out of the hole in the end of the handle.  Reassembly is just exactly in reverse.  It is a tight fit inside the E1.  Much tighter than an F1.  Try not to back the screws out all the way because in that tight space they are hard to get back in.  The screws are pretty short, and once let loose, they try to jump down heat registers and are known for their antics like that.  Pesty little devils that they are!

Like Bingster indicated - getting the transmitter and its spitcup back on in the right position is sometimes just a bit of trial and error until you get the spacer on there correctly.  You do not want to over tighten, as these guys are known for being hard to get off if they have been over tightened.

Hope that helps further.  I think it is great that you are getting into it.  Really.  Unless one gets the hands-on, one can never quite experience fixing these things.  I guess it's like anything else...  Nothing beats real experience.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on July 01, 2009, 06:18:15 PM
Just a quick thought about the subset... If your mounting cord still has the "S" hook on the restraint, it slips over the black hook that's circled in red, below.  Then the conductors are routed behind the metal clip that rests against the induction coil (marked by the arrow).  That keeps the conductors from running over top the ringer, preventing interference with the ringer, or wearing the cloth of the wires.

Ok, thanks.  For now it's just a crude rigging just to get it hooked up to check everything out, although Bill tested the subset for me before I bought it.  Notice that the red striped conductor doesn't have the prong on the end.  It was broken off, so I had to bare enough of that tinsle wire to wrap around the terminal, consequently the hook doesn't quite reach the holder.  No matter, I'm going to replace all the cords anyway, including the line cord.  One of my other phones came rigged with about 15+ ft of stiff wire, so I used a hunk of it on the subset as a line cord.

I'll add a strap wrench to my list of basic tools to get.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Steve

Looking real good Briny!

I just picked up a junk 634 that looks like it may work ( it's missing the spring for the bell tapper I guess you would call it?)  but I have to say this forum is great in the way that noobs like myself can learn here without feeling dumb.
thanks you guys.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

bingster

Steve, I think the great thing about this forum is that we're all learning.  We all know a little bit about a lot of things, and when we put all those little bits together, it increases the knowledge of all of us tremendously.

Regarding your missing bias spring, until you can find a suitable replacement, you can use a very thin rubber band.  Cut it, tie it to the little arm, wind the other end around the screw.  A rubber band won't last terribly long, but it'll help until the real thing comes along.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Quote from: bingster on July 02, 2009, 12:25:09 AM
Steve, I think the great thing about this forum is that we're all learning.  We all know a little bit about a lot of things, and when we put all those little bits together, it increases the knowledge of all of us tremendously.

Well said Bingster.  And Steve your comment is right on.  We can all learn and ask questions without being intimidated or afraid to ask questions that may seem simple to someone else.  It's great to exchange comments with the "regulars" and it's been great having new members join in on the conversations.  It would be nice to have more members become "regulars".

By the way, where's AtomicTom?  He's been absent for a while.  He's probably off having fun like a normal 18 year old during the summer.

McHeath

QuoteBy the way, where's AtomicTom?  He's been absent for a while.  He's probably off having fun like a normal 18 year old during the summer.

Yeah I've noted his absence.  We might have to send out a search party in a while. Ellen has been AWOL for a time as well.