News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Noob question - adapting for modular, basic tools of the trade.

Started by Greg G., July 08, 2009, 04:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Up to now I've been adapting hard-wired phones by hooking them up to a 6-wire surface mount jack like this one.  But these darn things are $5 a pop from Radio Shack.  Call me cheap, but I don't want to continue adding $5 to the cost of a phone.

I've looked on ebay, there are a few 4-wire jacks for cheaper, but I'm not sure if they would work, and when I add in shipping they're not much cheaper.

I'm sure some of youse guys who are more savvy about electronics have a fancy-schmancy tool of some sort.  I saw one on ebay, but not sure if it's a good price ($13 with shipping) or the right tool.  http://tinyurl.com/lzkmd3

So that all boils down to 3 questions:

Will the 4-wire surface mount jacks work?
If not, where can I find the 6-wire jacks cheap?
OR - What tool and parts do I need, where can I find them locally, and how do I attach the modular end directly to the line cord?

TankUBerryMud.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

I've never heard of six-wire jacks being common items in homes.  Even with a four wire jack, two of the wires (yellow and black) aren't normally used.  Personally, I don't use adapters.  If I need a phone somewhere, I replace the modular jack with a standard Bell System-type baseboard connecting block (42A).  You can find those frequently on ebay for cheap, or search online for Leviton catalog no. 40235-I or just google "42A connecting block" and you should find some inexpensive sources.  I got a box of ten for around ten dollars on ebay.

If you have four prong plugs handy, you can also install jacks for those.

Modular jacks are fine if they fit your telephones, but if you have older phones, there's nothing wrong with going back to what works with them.

= DARRIN =

Dan

here's what you are looking for

http://tinyurl.com/mmk5az

ask him if there are four wires inside, you will use the red and green
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Sargeguy

I use 4-prong plugs/jacks as well.  They look neater.  For modern phones or ones with replacement cords, I use the Bell System adapter that convert a 4-prong jack to modular.  They look a lot better than the 4-prong plug to modular jack adapters.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

You really only need two of the conductors of any modular plug.  The centermost pair which is usually red and green on the block and white/blue and blue/white inside the wall of most modern residences.

I am sure nobody sells a block with just one pair, so the 2-pair 4 conductor jacks are the most common.  Radio Shack, in their never ending attempt to cut back on the items they sell, has probably gone to just selling the 3-pair, 6 conductor jacks.  But the short answer is that you only wind up using the red and green.

If you want to keep the original wiring on your old phone, the route you are using is really the best bet.  You can buy bulk modular wire (even at radio shack) and use the tool you referred to to crimp a modular end to the bulk wire.  But you would still need to get yet another crimping tool and the little crimp-on spade tips to use at the phone-end.  At that point, you have a modular cord that does not match the phone.

So, you can try other sources for the modular blocks, or do likw was also suggested by Bingster and wire in hard-wired blocks.  Since you are in an apartment, you probably don't want to get into the wall's wiring or screw blocks onto the baseboards.

By the way, I would check with Staples, Fred Meyer, Office Depot, Home Depot, or Lowes, or even Wallgreens or Wal-Mart to see what their prices are on 4-conductor modular blocks.  I believe they all have them.  Other sources are e-Bay, as Dan has suggested, or try a reputable mail order source such as Jameco.  Come to think of it, before you go to any of those places, try Graybar Electric.   They are in the SOTO district of Seattle at 1916 6th Ave. So., (6th and South Holgate) 206-292-4848.  They have everything and anything related to phones, and they will sell to folks off the street even though they are mostly a business supplier.  There is also Data Pro in Ballard.  I've bought lots of stuff from both of them in the past.

Cheers,

-Bill
Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

I know they're not "original" but they are practical.  I'm talking about the modular plugs that can be purchased at Phoneco.  They have four lugs to screw down your spade tips and modular on the other end.  They a little larger than the normal modular plug but they work very well.

Look here:   http://tinyurl.com/msu89w

Scroll down to Part #212.  If you're a member of the phone club(s) they'll cut that price for you.  I have used them many times on non-collectibles for the ease of the user.

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on July 08, 2009, 05:16:11 PM
I've never heard of six-wire jacks being common items in homes.  Even with a four wire jack, two of the wires (yellow and black) aren't normally used.  Personally, I don't use adapters.  If I need a phone somewhere, I replace the modular jack with a standard Bell System-type baseboard connecting block (42A).  You can find those frequently on ebay for cheap, or search online for Leviton catalog no. 40235-I or just google "42A connecting block" and you should find some inexpensive sources.  I got a box of ten for around ten dollars on ebay.

If you have four prong plugs handy, you can also install jacks for those.

Modular jacks are fine if they fit your telephones, but if you have older phones, there's nothing wrong with going back to what works with them.

I live in an apartment so I can't be re-wiring the jacks, I'm limited to using an adapter on the phone so a modular cord can be plugged in.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on July 08, 2009, 08:22:11 PM
You really only need two of the conductors of any modular plug.  The centermost pair which is usually red and green on the block and white/blue and blue/white inside the wall of most modern residences.

If you want to keep the original wiring on your old phone, the route you are using is really the best bet.  

By the way, I would check with Staples, Fred Meyer, Office Depot, Home Depot, or Lowes, or even Wallgreens or Wal-Mart to see what their prices are on 4-conductor modular blocks.  I believe they all have them.  Other sources are e-Bay, as Dan has suggested, or try a reputable mail order source such as Jameco.  Come to think of it, before you go to any of those places, try Graybar Electric.   They are in the SOTO district of Seattle at 1916 6th Ave. So., (6th and South Holgate) 206-292-4848.  They have everything and anything related to phones, and they will sell to folks off the street even though they are mostly a business supplier.  There is also Data Pro in Ballard.  I've bought lots of stuff from both of them in the past.

Cheers,

-Bill

Thanks for all the info.  I'll stick with the way I've been doing it then, but forget Radio Shack.  Data Pro is just down the road from me, I'll try them first.
- Mike Row
e

benhutcherson

I've had good luck finding the four-terminal modular connecting blocks at the local Dollar Tree. They're cheaply made, but get the job done, and the price($1) is right.

Phonesrfun

Ben:

I was thinking Dollar Tree was a great idea!  Then I went to the local Dollar Tree here in this little berg of Walla Walla, WA, and they did not have a single modular block.  Not even a place for one on their pegboard or shelf.  Many, many cheap cell phone covers and some modular adapters for plugging two phones into one jack, but no blocks.

Good thing I already have a few, but next time I'm in the "Big City",  I'll look again.  BTW, my Dollar Tree is about half the size of any given DT in Portland or Seattle.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: benhutcherson on July 09, 2009, 05:08:58 PM
I've had good luck finding the four-terminal modular connecting blocks at the local Dollar Tree. They're cheaply made, but get the job done, and the price($1) is right.

No kidding?  There's one right across the street that I've never been to, I'll check it out, thanks!
- Mike Row
e