News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

202 in action

Started by Greg G., July 15, 2009, 07:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Got the dial installed and trouble-shooted a minor glitch with Bill G's (Phonesrfun) help.  Next step is new cords, just ordered them from Old Phone Works. Here's an avi of it in action, complete with my impersonation of Lily Tomlin's nerdy phone operator character.

http://tinyurl.com/kq5zs8

If the Tiny URL gives you problems, try the direct link:

http://home.comcast.net/~gsgoebel/telephones/WE-D/202inaction.avi
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Nice job Greg!  The phone sounds great.  You'll have to post some photos when the new cords are installed.

Greg G.

The link keeps locking up my browser (IE8), although the file plays fine when I view it from WMP directly.  FF plays it ok.  Yeah, yeah, I know, switch to FF.

I used the phone a couple times today.  One thing I noticed is those E1 handsets are difficult to cradle between your head and shoulder.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

That's a sweet sounding ring in the video.  Nicely done!

The E1 is notoriously difficult to shoulder.  If I'm wearing a loose-collared shirt, I can pull the collar to the side and bare skin makes it stay put.  But that's kinda tacky, I guess. ;D
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Brinybay on July 16, 2009, 01:01:04 AM
The link keeps locking up my browser (IE8), although the file plays fine when I view it from WMP directly.  FF plays it ok.  Yeah, yeah, I know, switch to FF.

I used the phone a couple times today.  One thing I noticed is those E1 handsets are difficult to cradle between your head and shoulder.
Impossible to cradle....

I still can not see the videio.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Try a different video player if you have one, Dan.  I got it to play in VLC, which will play anything the others won't play.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

I got it to play in VLC also. It just took a long time to download with Firefox. Thanks Brinybay; having video and sound of your 202 and ringer is fun, especially since I've never seen actually seen or heard one in action.
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 16, 2009, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on July 16, 2009, 01:01:04 AM
The link keeps locking up my browser (IE8), although the file plays fine when I view it from WMP directly.  FF plays it ok.  Yeah, yeah, I know, switch to FF.

I used the phone a couple times today.  One thing I noticed is those E1 handsets are difficult to cradle between your head and shoulder.
Impossible to cradle....

I still can not see the videio.
D/P

Let's do this the easy way.  I opened a Youtube account and uploaded it there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OUdU-9DUlI
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Brinybay:

Well, that is good.  I finally got the avi file to work.  Mine was starting, but giving me an error and no sound was coming out.  So, I saved the whole avi file to my computer and ran it locally and it worked.

Good job on making that phone work!  You started with a phone that had no dial and was hooked to a local battery magneto subset, and you converted it to a dial and hooked it up to the 684 subset and now you have a real phone!

Congratulations on the learnig curve also!

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on July 17, 2009, 12:00:23 AM
Brinybay:

Well, that is good.  I finally got the avi file to work.  Mine was starting, but giving me an error and no sound was coming out.  So, I saved the whole avi file to my computer and ran it locally and it worked.

Good job on making that phone work!  You started with a phone that had no dial and was hooked to a local battery magneto subset, and you converted it to a dial and hooked it up to the 684 subset and now you have a real phone!

Congratulations on the learnig curve also!

-Bill

You were a big help with the easy-to-follow instructions you sent.  Next step is put the new cords on when they get here and polish it.  I still need to get a strap wrench to take the E1 handset apart.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

I have such a wrench that I got from Steve Hilsz a while back and have never used it.  When we get together to work on the NEC, remind me to bring that wrench along.

Photo of wrench next to a Coke can for size comparison.

-Bill
-Bill G