News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

62 Red 500 progress.

Started by Greg G., August 12, 2009, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Operator

The crazing on the handset suggests the paint has affected the plastic. This would leave you with 3 layers to deal with:

1) the paint layer, which you've already removed
2) a layer of "affected" plastic, which you've partially sanded through
3) the original unaffected plastic beneath layer 2

Do you have a loupe or magnifying glass? ~The Operator
Ever get the urge to call the number on the dial card and say "Hey, I have your phone."

Greg G.

Quote from: The Operator on September 08, 2009, 07:42:01 PM
The crazing on the handset suggests the paint has affected the plastic. This would leave you with 3 layers to deal with:

1) the paint layer, which you've already removed
2) a layer of "affected" plastic, which you've partially sanded through
3) the original unaffected plastic beneath layer 2

Do you have a loupe or magnifying glass? ~The Operator

Just a small one I use for looking at coins.  What am I looking for?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

The Operator

I thought it might help determine what lies beneath what. But if you're done sanding it's probably a moot point anyway. I think the phone looks just fine and was simply playing "armchair detective" of sorts. ~The Operator
Ever get the urge to call the number on the dial card and say "Hey, I have your phone."

Greg G.

Quote from: The Operator on September 09, 2009, 06:22:36 PM
I thought it might help determine what lies beneath what. But if you're done sanding it's probably a moot point anyway. I think the phone looks just fine and was simply playing "armchair detective" of sorts. ~The Operator

That's quite all right.  You're probably correct about the layers, that's why the top of the handset got the level of gloss I was trying to attain because it was flat and easy to sand, the sides aren't bad either.  Yeah, to the casual observer it looks fine, and a lot better than when I first got it.  Next up is a handset cord, line cord, and finger wheel.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Tonyrotary

Great job with the phone! I just sanded my wife's 500 handset as it had a deep scratch. I started with 400 then 800, then rubbing compound, and finally polishing compound and the buffer. Turned out pretty decent for my first time. I also used rubbing compound of the sides of the case as they had some scratches. I still need to buff it it some more but most of the scratches are gone. Like you Greg, I am kinda picky and try to do a good job.