News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rusted feet on 500.

Started by Greg G., August 19, 2009, 04:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Long time ago I acquired a pink phone that had a nasty looking base. The feet were corroded badly. I removed the rivets with a 1/8 drill bit and was able to find similar anti-slip rubber feet at HomeDepot. You don't often look under the phone, but to make it look nicer, I painted the bottom with flat black paint and left it out to dry under the summer sun for a couple of days.

Jorge

rp2813

This is the first I've seen of the triangular neoprene feet with rusty rivets.  Up until now, I thought this was only a problem with the later round feet.  I think a careful cleaning/brushing to remove the rust and then staying on top of things thereafter would do the trick. 

Dan Panther has mentioned before that Signal Corps phones were "weatherized" for conditions such as humidity.  I wonder if this is why the Signal Corps rivets don't rust.  You'd think though, that once WE saw that rust was an issue they'd use that same sort of rivet, if in fact there was a different type that the Signal Corps phones had on them.

Ralph
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Ralph;
I think the issue with SC phones, is treatment of the components with anti fungal coatings.
Just from my experience at Lear Seigler during Vietnam War, we coated all components in the KYK-5 radios with an anti fungal sealer coating.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

foots

That coating seems similar to the coating we use on truck batteries to prevent corrossion. Ralph, you must live in an area with little humidity.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

Based on the feedback I'm getting, particularly Jorge's experience, I don't think this phone warrants going to the trouble of removing and attempting to re-attach them.  (I say "attempt" because I'm not a very skilled handyman, but the Tim Allen in me always wants an excuse for new tools).  The base isn't that bad, some elbow grease and a wire brush and some touch up paint should suffice.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

benhutcherson

Attached is a photo of my Signal Corp 500. Please note the rust on the feet

rp2813

So much for my Signal Corps theory! 

I guess the SF Bay Area is a lot less humid than other parts of the country but it's not exactly the driest place either.  One of my older 500's got new feet in the 60's and the rivets are rusty.  I can't say for certain if it was a local phone, but it's very likely since every phone I own was found fairly close to home.

Ralph
Ralph

Dennis Markham

The story I always heard about the rust on the feet, especially with the round footpads was that they continue to out-gas, causing moisture which becomes trapped between the base/chassis and the pad resulting in rust.

Dan/Panther

I have to agree with Dennis.
I find it hard to believe that every 500 with rubber feet, just happen to have gotten set into a puddle of water, at some time in its life.
It makes much more sense, and a much simpler solution to me, that the problem is inherent in the design, or makeup, of the feet themselves. I've always heard and believe, the simplest solution is USUALLY the correct one.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

It seems that the anodized bases solved the rusting problem as I've rarely seen one rusted up like the plastic feet/black base jobs.  That was certainly a design flaw eh, maybe even the biggest flaw the 500 had.  Of course it all worked fine with the original leather feet, it was when they went cheaper that the problems happened. 

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 19, 2009, 11:25:22 PM
There is a collector named Dennis Hallworth. (I have posted his name and e-mail address in the past so you can search on his name and it will come up). 

Here's the thread:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1185.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e