News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ever fix an out-of-round handset cap?

Started by Greg G., December 08, 2009, 06:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I'm pretty sure my AE 80 receiver cap is out-of-round.  I tried putting it in hot water, that didn't work.  I poured boiling water on it and let it soak.  Not even sure if leaving it in boiling water would be enough to make it pliable to the point of getting it back to round shape, the caps are fairly thick.  Anybody have a method they used with success?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

If you could find someone that could cut threads to match the cap, on a large piece of round stock, then heat up the cap and screw it onto the threaded round stock that should work, but theory is the easy part.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

This may be a silly question, but have you tried screwing the cap onto another handset and/or screwing another cap onto this handset?  If the cap is slightly distorted, try screwing it onto an old bakelite handset and then let is sit somewhere warm for a while.  If if will not go onto the bakelite handset with light to moderate effort, don't force it.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 09, 2009, 09:08:51 PM
This may be a silly question, but have you tried screwing the cap onto another handset and/or screwing another cap onto this handset?  If the cap is slightly distorted, try screwing it onto an old bakelite handset and then let is sit somewhere warm for a while.  If if will not go onto the bakelite handset with light to moderate effort, don't force it.

Larry

Did that (swapping caps) to make sure it wasn't the receiver element itself that was the problem.  The only phones I have that I know for sure have bakelite handsets are the 202 and NEC, and it's not going to fit on those. 
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

I meant that trying the cap on another handset (and vice versa) would tell you whether the problem was with the cap or the handset.  Also, I was thinking that your AE Spacemaker had a bakelite handset that yo could use for this.  I have both plastic and bakelite AE 80 type handsets here, and the caps are interchangeable.  You definitely will not be able to screw the AE cap onto an NEC or WE handset.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 09, 2009, 10:19:50 PM
I meant that trying the cap on another handset (and vice versa) would tell you whether the problem was with the cap or the handset.  Also, I was thinking that your AE Spacemaker had a bakelite handset that yo could use for this.  I have both plastic and bakelite AE 80 type handsets here, and the caps are interchangeable.  You definitely will not be able to screw the AE cap onto an NEC or WE handset.

Larry

I knew what you meant, I just didn't say it right, but yes, tried the cap on other AE's I have, and vice versa.  The other caps go on this handset ok, but the receiver elements on other AE's get wedged into this cap.  I tried this cap on the handsets w/o the receiver elements, and it threads on fine, just so long as the receiver element isn't getting in the way.

So, it just occurred to me that instead of trying to reshape it, use a dremel tool or something to shave off a bit of the inside of the cap where the receiver element comes in contact with the part below the threads, that's where it's getting hung up (no pun).
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

They made a tool called a thread chaser, it goes into the grooves and deepens the "V" so the thread is clear again.
You can make on yourself by grinding a piece of flat metal to a "V" shape the same as the thread pitch. Or if you know a tool maker or machinst, as if you can barrow the appropriate thread cutting bit. They look like this.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

The threads aren't the problem though.  It's that area just below the threads, where the edge of the receiver element sits once the cap is screwed on.  For some reason, (out-of-round?) it has some high spots that cause the element to not sit freely in there.  Instead it gets wedged up against it so that the cap won't rotate around it freely.
- Mike Row
e

benhutcherson

"You definitely will not be able to screw the AE cap onto an NEC or WE handset."

A receiver cap for an AE80 type handset will fit a G series handset.

Not that this will really help you, but it could potentially be helpful at some point in the future. I discovered this from one of my 500 sets, which has a G-1 handset and had an AE receiver cap installed when I bought it.

Anyway, I think that your best bet is probably going to be to use your Dremel to reduce the height of plastic inside and make it fit right. I'd use a sandpaper disk, and of course go very, very slowly.