News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Your best advice on painting my hotel phone.

Started by Greg G., February 11, 2010, 04:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

My lazy streak is being overcome (albeit not w/o a fight) by the fantastic results I see on this forum from what a little effort does.  I've read through the Telephone Painting Techniques thread, but would like some suggestions specific to this phone.

I was going to just clean this up more and let it go at that, which is what I've been doing with most of my phones, but got to thinking that it shouldn't be that difficult to get this looking like a million bucks.  After all, most of it is just a square metal box, how hard can that be?  It's not like a 500 set with numerous nooks, crannies, odd angles.

I'm going to send the dial off to be overhauled, I think there's a guy in Arizona who does that, I'll have to look up the info.  

First off, I do NOT have a shop to work in, so no blasting, grinding, or anything that takes anything more than what I have, which is a handheld sander and buffer attachments for my variable speed drill.  Any stripping and/or painting I'll have to do in my parking spot in the apartment garage.  

I'm thinking of a couple options that I'd like feedback on.  I always like to try the easiest but effective method first, which would be to finish cleaning it up and try using regular automobile buffing on it and touching it up the scrapes.  

Second option would be to go for broke and strip and repaint it.  That's really where I would need some advice on.  It would have to be done using readily available materials that I can get locally, I'm not going to hunt for specialty stuff or wait for them to be shipped to me.

The back plate or frame that the case is hinged to I think I can get away with just spraying over it as is.  That was the only metal part I put in the Oxyclean bath. Naturally, I want to preserve the date and model stamps on the inside of the main case, and naturally I think it would be a total waste of time to try to strip and paint the inside.  I think a simple masking would do to protect them.

With all that said, here are the pics:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Quote from: Brinybay on February 11, 2010, 04:21:43 PMI'm going to send the dial off to be overhauled, I think there's a guy in Arizona who does that, I'll have to look up the info.  

"Think globally, act locally."  Steve Hilsz (sp?) does excellent work, but there are forum members who will do the same job for you.  And just as well, too--it's not rocket science.  Check out the classified section of the forum for their info, if you decide to go that route.

Quote from: Brinybay on February 11, 2010, 04:21:43 PMI'm thinking of a couple options that I'd like feedback on.  I always like to try the easiest but effective method first, which would be to finish cleaning it up and try using regular automobile buffing on it and touching it up the scrapes.

This is just one man's opinion, but I try to keep them original unless they're a total wreck.  This one's in very, very nice condition, and I think a little bit of buffing/polishing of the paint would make it look almost like new.  It would certainly remove the scuffs and scrapes which don't go through the paint (and I can't readily spot many that do).
= DARRIN =

Steve

If it was my phone, I would probably try buffing/polishing compound.
I think most of that will come off pretty easily. anything left would be honest patina. I think it will come out nicely plus it would be the original paint. you could rub it by hand while watching TV one night. have you tried anything likes mothers mag polish yet? that might be worth a try first.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Jester

I vote with the others on cleaning/polishing.  There is alot to work with in that original finish, and, as you mentioned above, resources & workspace for stripping & painting are nonexistent.  You'll be amazed at what the right cleaner & some elbow grease will do for that paint.
Stephen

Greg G.

Quote from: Jester on February 11, 2010, 04:56:34 PM
I vote with the others on cleaning/polishing.  There is alot to work with in that original finish, and, as you mentioned above, resources & workspace for stripping & painting are nonexistent.  You'll be amazed at what the right cleaner & some elbow grease will do for that paint.

That settles it then, finish cleaning and just polish, but that will be enough work as it is.  I was going to use Oxyclean to get the paint off, I have some in a spray bottle, but it tends to dull the surface, as you can see from the backplate.  Any other suggestions for paint removal?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Craig T

Briny, if you are using it to get the white specks of paint off the phone, Goo Gone is an excellent choice.

It is non-abrasive and will not harm your original black paint. It is like magic on scuffs too. They sell it at most hardware stores, probably auto stores too. For example...

http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/uploaded_images/goo-gone-775962.jpg

Save a finger nail for the cleaning, it really helps to get the paint specks off quicker with the Goo Gone.