News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hotel phone died.

Started by Greg G., February 15, 2010, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

All I did was take the dial off to clean it up a bit and put a new dial card on it.  Now the darn thing doesn't get a dial tone and doesn't dial out or receive calls.  It's getting power, I see the clapper move when I plug it in and unplug it.  I thought I got all the dial wires back in the right place, but I'm not 100% certain.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Resolved.  I looked at the before/after pics a little more closely and swapped the first and third wires.  Next time I'll color-code the darn things.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

gpo706

Its always the way isn't it BB, we do a simple uncomplicated 5 minute job and it all ends in tears.

Then maybe 3 nights of sleep your mind working it out and the "eureka" moment.

Thank god I don't collect cars!

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Greg G.

Fortunately in this case it was only 10 minutes getting to "Eureka!"
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Yeah, I've had that happen way too many times.  A nice quick little job, gonna' take about 5 minutes and be a minor incremental upgrade.  Instead it all goes to pieces and takes a few days to figure out how to put it right, which may involve some creative shadetree work.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: McHeath on February 16, 2010, 12:43:20 AM
Yeah, I've had that happen way too many times.  A nice quick little job, gonna' take about 5 minutes and be a minor incremental upgrade.  Instead it all goes to pieces and takes a few days to figure out how to put it right, which may involve some creative shadetree work.

Better a shade tree than a back burner, That back burner never gets lonely at my place.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bingster

This is a very common thing to have happen with a phone/subset of this age.  The wires have all aged to different shades of brown, and they're difficult to tell apart.  Add to that, the fact that they're cabled together in a wall phone, and it's nearly impossible to tell what goes where.  I'll often take a fine-tip sharpie and write the terminal letter/number on each spade lug as I take it off.  It's saved my bacon a few different times.  And it can be wiped right off with alcohol when you put it back together.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on February 16, 2010, 09:13:07 PM
This is a very common thing to have happen with a phone/subset of this age.  The wires have all aged to different shades of brown, and they're difficult to tell apart. 

Add to that the funkiness of some digital cameras that sometimes don't record the color as it appears to the naked eye.  I had to look closely at the physical appearance of the wires.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

For what it is worth, if I am concerned about putting wires back to the correct terminals, I write the terminals numbers (or letters) on little pieces of tape and stick them to the wires. 

Larry