"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 50s, different dials and ringers.

Started by Greg G., April 25, 2010, 02:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Brinybay,
              Nice set of phones you have there!!!!! About all I can help on is the ringer. The ringer (D-56515-A ) is correct for that phone according to pg. 4  of AE Circular 1712A     11- 1953.
               I have the one that came off a ship with receiver locks and it has a different ringer ( D-56441-B ). It too is the correct for that phone according to AE Catalog  4055-C pg. 46 .
               It looks like you can have either and they will be correct. Your ringer (D-56515-A was very popular and used in several phones. Maybe Terry can be of  more help.
               Have no idea what the  odd ball ringer came out of.  Later    stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

Greg:

You don't need to remove the part that has the terminal strip and the switch from the backplate.  All you need to do is remove the two cover screws and the hookswitch plunger and the cover comes right off.

So, I would re-attach the part that has those pieces with the two screws that hold it on.  You will notice that the designations of L1, G, and L2 are embossed in the backplate at the very bottom on the right side of where the terminal strip mounts.

Hook the line wires to L1 and L2, which are the third from the right, and the far right terminals.

For reference, I have attached a photo for you.
-Bill G

stub

Brinybay,
              When you finish this phone and put the cover on , start the hookswitch plunger 1st , and leave loose, before you tighten the 2 cover holding screws. These phones might crack if you use too much force.
                                                                        stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 27, 2010, 01:46:14 AM
Greg:

You don't need to remove the part that has the terminal strip and the switch from the backplate.  All you need to do is remove the two cover screws and the hookswitch plunger and the cover comes right off.

I didn't.  Apparently it's missing the mounting screws for the terminal, so w/o removing the switchhook plunger, it came off with the cover.  The other one is the same way.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 27, 2010, 01:46:14 AM

So, I would re-attach the part that has those pieces with the two screws that hold it on.  You will notice that the designations of L1, G, and L2 are embossed in the backplate at the very bottom on the right side of where the terminal strip mounts.

Hook the line wires to L1 and L2, which are the third from the right, and the far right terminals.

For reference, I have attached a photo for you.

Thanks.  Nothing, dead.  No tone, won't dial out or ring.  Is it me, or is there something different about the wiring on this, compared to your picture?

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
               The screws to hold the switchhook mount are  10-32 by 7/16" long flathead.      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Brinybay ,
                Take a clip lead and place it on the black wire, the one sticking up in pic not attached to anything, and place the other end to # 1 on the induction coil and I think it might go to working if handset is wired right .  
                Right or wrong let me know .....     stub             post a pic of the inside of transmitter with guts removed so we can see how it's wired if it doesn't  work after the clip led test.
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: stub1953 on April 27, 2010, 01:06:50 PM
Brinybay,
               The screws to hold the switchhook mount are  10-32 by 7/16" long flathead.      stub

Thanks.  I have to make a trip to Holmes, er, Home Depot today anyway.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: stub1953 on April 27, 2010, 01:16:14 PM
Brinybay ,
                Take a clip lead and place it on the black wire, the one sticking up in pic not attached to anything, and place the other end to # 1 on the induction coil and I think it might go to working if handset is wired right .  
                Right or wrong let me know .....     stub             post a pic of the inside of transmitter with guts removed so we can see how it's wired if it doesn't  work after the clip led test.

I was wondering about that wire, that's why I placed it straight up for the picture.  I wasn't sure if I accidently broke it off, but it's the same way on the other 50.  I guess I should get a clip lead, Radio Shack?
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
                Just place that wire on the # 1  on induction coil and see if you get dial tone , just don't hold it with your finger!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: stub1953 on April 27, 2010, 02:08:09 PM
Brinybay,
                Just place that wire on the # 1  on induction coil and see if you get dial tone , just don't hold it with your finger!!!!!   stub

No finger, got it.  I'll use my tongue. 
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
                Please post pic of that!!!!!!!!!! Why did you think I asked for your phone number ::)
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: stub1953 on April 27, 2010, 02:21:19 PM
Brinybay,
                 Please post pic of that!!!!!!!!!!

Pic? Nah, how 'bout a Youtube vid instead?  Probably look something like the link below.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
       Is it soup yet, or is it still simmering?? Did you get dial tone yet?    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Partial success.  I invested in some leads from RS and hooked up the wire to #1 on the coil, got a dial tone.  Dials out and receives calls, doesn't ring.

There's something wierd about this wiring.  I wonder if this is the correct handset cord for this phone.  The clip where it was attached to the terminal broke off while I was moving it, and the location of the strain relief doesn't look right, it doesn't hook to anything.

I have some NOS AE ringers, but they're for 80s.  They have that volume knob on them so it won't fit in this one.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the world of clip leads!  A collector's best friend when it comes to trouble-shooting.

The cord-end is out of a later AE.  That style of cord stay does not mate up with anything in the AE50.  You might be able to hook it on something in a makeshift manner.  That is apparently what they did by hooking it to one terminal on the terminal strip.  Normally the terminal strip is not used to tie down wires like that.
-Bill G