"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302 breakdown and progress.

Started by Greg G., July 14, 2010, 01:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on July 14, 2010, 11:22:53 PM
Most bugs, it seems, will survive a neuclear blast at close range.  Then they mutate to bigger bugs..... At least according to the sci-fi films of the '50's

oops, now we are off topic

This one (looks like an arachnid) was very healthy in it's lifetime.  Even in it's withered, mummified state, it was the size of a large fly.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

Your results so far are amazing.  I will have to start looking for your next project phone, perhaps with more rust and larger arachnids (maybe even live poisonous ones) ;D

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry....for future reference, I have found using vaseline petroleum jelly on the orange date stamps works great. It protects the orange date stamp and just wipes off after.....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on July 15, 2010, 09:04:58 AM
....for future reference, I have found using vaseline petroleum jelly on the orange date stamps works great. It protects the orange date stamp and just wipes off after.....Doug

I remember you saying that before, but I forgot to get some when I was out.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Hey Greg....sorry...I got the name in the thread mixed up. Excellent results. I would have parted the phone out and you have made it a prize....real nice job....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on July 15, 2010, 02:28:06 PM
Hey Greg....sorry...I got the name in the thread mixed up. Excellent results. I would have parted the phone out and you have made it a prize....real nice job....Doug

Only when all else fails and it doesn't function.  Even then, I would have tried to pinpoint exactly what was wrong and tried to find a replacement part.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Nice job, Greg.  You made that phone look real nice again.  I'm sure when you're finished it will be a nice phone to display and use.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Greg;
Excellent work.

Kenny;
If you don't stop scraping out phone parts We are going to take away your tools. :o :o :o ;)

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
My apologies It was Doug that said that.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Thanks all for the compliments.  Although the LWPO worked well, I have a problem with the way LWPO smells.  It smells very strongly of dirty, burnt engine oil, and in this small apt., it stinks up the whole place and makes it smell like I'm walking into a dirty old auto shop. I have to be very careful when using it and make sure I gather up all the rags I used and put them in a plastic bag and wash the clothes I was wearing right away, not put them in the hamper.  Only reason I used it was because I just happened to have it on hand.  But I'm going to shop around for some other type of rust inhibitor/cleaner that's not as objectionable.  Any recommendations?   
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 16, 2010, 12:54:51 AM
Kenny;
D/P

Greg.... It was me who said that. Usually when I find a common phone, I make a quick decision on bringing it back to life, or taking it for parts. In the case of your 5302, I would have taken it for parts. A 5302 has a wealth of parts that can be used on most WE phones. Seeing the way you are lovingly restoring it, you made the correct decision. I never thought you would be able to remove the oxidation and still have a working phone. BUT as we know, when someone is looking for a handset or a dial for their projects, they have to come from somewhere. Nice job on the refurb, I can't wait to see the finished product.....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

CLR is a product available at HomeDepot that is good for rust removal. It is water based and leaves no smell behind.

http://www.amazon.com/Jelmar-CL-12-Enhanced-Calcium-Remover/dp/B000KKKNUW

Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on July 16, 2010, 09:03:11 AM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 16, 2010, 12:54:51 AM
Kenny;
D/P

Greg.... It was me who said that. Usually when I find a common phone, I make a quick decision on bringing it back to life, or taking it for parts. In the case of your 5302, I would have taken it for parts. A 5302 has a wealth of parts that can be used on most WE phones. Seeing the way you are lovingly restoring it, you made the correct decision. I never thought you would be able to remove the oxidation and still have a working phone. BUT as we know, when someone is looking for a handset or a dial for their projects, they have to come from somewhere. Nice job on the refurb, I can't wait to see the finished product.....Doug

Are there two Greg's in this thread?  I'm one of them.  Seems we are getting confused over who's who, and who said what.  Who's on first, what's on second, I don't know's on third.  :D

The most amazing part of this project is I broke from my usual M.O. of letting it "age" for a month or two after tearing it down.  

I can't help but wonder where this phone was that was so damp.  Maybe a silly question, this is the soggy NW, but still, for that amount of corrosion (albeit superficial) and a large arachnid (still creeps me out!) to have thrived inside, had to be some leaky old shed or barn.
- Mike Row
e