"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302 breakdown and progress.

Started by Greg G., July 14, 2010, 01:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 16, 2010, 10:41:44 AM
CLR is a product available at HomeDepot that is good for rust removal. It is water based and leaves no smell behind.

http://www.amazon.com/Jelmar-CL-12-Enhanced-Calcium-Remover/dp/B000KKKNUW

CLR - Yes, of course!  I even have some on hand that I totally forgot about! 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 16, 2010, 12:54:51 AM
Seems we are getting confused over who's who, and who said what.  Who's on first, what's on second, I don't know's on third.  :D

Confused about who?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdmULsIEyEI

Gets interesting at 1:25.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Greg, the first 302 I ever worked on was just five years ago.  My sister brought it home from a barn in southern Georgia.  When I opened it up it was full of bug carcasses and what I call "bug juice".  I didn't know what I didn't know then about cleaning phones.  Now at least, I know what I don't know.

Anyway here are a few pics of that mess.  Think of where these phones may have been.  As recently as Hurricane Katrina or the flooding of the mid west in the past couple of years.  It wouldn't take after being submerged for things to turn ugly.

I didn't take as many "before" pictures then.  I'm surprised I have any at all. 

I'm sure if I did it today I could do better, but for my first one of this model I was happy with it.

Dan/Panther

I don't know how they got into a closed phone, but those streaks sure look like mouse urine to me.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Could be, Dan.  Who knows how long that old phone sat in the dirty old barn in southern Georgia.  I knew it was pretty nasty.

McHeath

Gee that came out nice Dennis.  Speaking of mice, my dad once bought a Ford tractor that had sat for a while and the radiator had dead mice in it. They had chewed through the hose and moved in, clever creatures. 

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 16, 2010, 04:27:52 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 16, 2010, 12:54:51 AM
Seems we are getting confused over who's who, and who said what.  Who's on first, what's on second, I don't know's on third.  :D

Confused about who?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdmULsIEyEI

Gets interesting at 1:25.

I sure miss Johnny.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Started on the upper part.  I debated wether to give the cover an Oxiclean soak or just try to hand wash it.  But considering that there are paint flecks on the outside that will probably have to be sanded off, and some heavy growth of mold on the inside, I went for the Oxiclean soak.

I'm trying CLR on the rusty finger wheel parts.  Wasn't sure if I should put the switch hook in with them, so I'll ask y'all if it's safe to do that.  Also, is that half-circle rubber gasket supposed to come off?  I left it on for now.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

CLR works great!  This is after about a 5 hour soak in straight CLR.  They were all pretty rusty and corroded.  Just hope I can remember which ones go where.  Fortunately, I have another 5302 to refer to.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Brinybay on July 18, 2010, 01:02:31 AM
Started on the upper part.  I debated wether to give the cover an Oxiclean soak or just try to hand wash it.  But considering that there are paint flecks on the outside that will probably have to be sanded off, and some heavy growth of mold on the inside, I went for the Oxiclean soak.

I'm trying CLR on the rusty finger wheel parts.  Wasn't sure if I should put the switch hook in with them, so I'll ask y'all if it's safe to do that.  Also, is that half-circle rubber gasket supposed to come off?  I left it on for now.

Try lots of hot water on the gasket to soften it. If it looks like it may break, just brush around it and leave it in place. I think you can CLR the hook switch too.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

That link will take you to:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric5SeriesDialOverhaul#

which is the album that shows how to overhaul the 5 series dial. I think Briny has another dial, perhaps a 6?

I am starting to feel inspired to continue the 5302 to which that dial in the album belongs to. Mmm, maybe when the temps drop by 10 degrees.  ;D
Jorge

Greg G.

Boy, I can't believe the heavy growth of mold on the cover and plastic parts.  There was a ribbon of white something floating in the Oxiclean bath, I couldn't figure out what that came off of until I went to detail the dial bezel.  There were remnants of the same white gunk on the underside, then I realized the entire underside of it had been thick with a whitish mold, that's what was floating in the bath, along with what appeared to be several rodent hairs.  

Paint flecks = sanding, ugh.  One side of the cover had paint flecks on it.  I sat and looked at that for a while, dreading such a tedious chore.  I left it and started polishing the dial bezel with (old style) Brasso.  The dial bezel had a few flecks of paint on it too, but I noticed that after the Brasso application, they came off with my fingernail, so I tried it on the cover too.  Didn't work.  Soooo....I broke down and sanded it, but only with 1000 and 2000 grit and polished it with Brasso.  That seemed to do just fine.  
That half-circle rubber gasket comes off better if you push it out from the underside, it has little flared rubber grommets that fit through the holes in the cover.  Pulling the gasket off from the topside would probably have ripped it.

CLR worked so well on the dial's nuts and screws that I'm re-doing the base component's screws as well by putting them in a CLR bath.

Those black switchhook plungers don't polish very well at all, are they made of hard rubber?

Oh, and the trick with using Vaseline on the date stamp worked very well!
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Took all the base component screws and the switch hook out of the CLR bath.  A lot of gunk came off.  At this point, I'm going to start putting it all back together and fuss about the cover and handset later.  They're not that bad anyway.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

The hook switch looks very nice.

I am not sure 100%, but I think those plungers are bakelite. Try hitting them Brasso to see if some shine comes out of them. I'll take a look at the pair I have to see what they are make of.
Jorge