News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302 breakdown and progress.

Started by Greg G., July 14, 2010, 01:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Whew!  I'm glad I had another 5302 to see where all those little screws went.  Wasn't really that hard, just used process of elimination.

It's all put together now, just one little problem.  No ring.  Dials out, receives calls, but no ring.  I'm worried I may have destroyed the ringer coil.  I don't know how that rip occurred, one minute it wasn't there, the next it was.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Greg, I wouldn't think that rip would cause the ringer to become inoperable.  I see your bias tension spring is all the way to one side.  Try moving it to the center notch and see if that makes any difference.  It also appears someone bent the clapper arm, maybe to adjust ringer sound rather than rotating the gong(s).  I didn't check your wiring but the bias tension spring jumped out at me.  Some do need to be all the way to one side or the other but often just centralizing that spring will make the ringer work when it hadn't previously.

JorgeAmely

Greg:

Is this a broken coil wire? You could check for continuity with your DVM.
Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 21, 2010, 11:16:19 AM
Greg:

Is this a broken coil wire? You could check for continuity with your DVM.

Where do I put the probes to check that?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on July 21, 2010, 07:12:05 AM
Greg, I wouldn't think that rip would cause the ringer to become inoperable.  I see your bias tension spring is all the way to one side.  Try moving it to the center notch and see if that makes any difference.  It also appears someone bent the clapper arm, maybe to adjust ringer sound rather than rotating the gong(s).  I didn't check your wiring but the bias tension spring jumped out at me.  Some do need to be all the way to one side or the other but often just centralizing that spring will make the ringer work when it hadn't previously.

It worked before in that position, but I moved it over anyway and straightened the clapper arm, no luck. 
- Mike Row
e

stub

Briny,
         I hate to say it but I think Jorge just found your problem. I see two open wires there.  If the break is not too deep in the coil you could remove cover and unwind to the break and solder the ends together and insulate it and glue the cover back on.  I have fixed a few when the break wasn't too deep. 
          You might need to get another ringer .  Good Luck.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan/Panther

Greg;
Make sure all of the grommets for the ringer mount are in good condition or it will happen again. Also why is the red wire in a different position then it was originally. Rewire it the way it was when you got it. Look back at your previous wiring it shows how it was.
If you choose to re-solder the broken wire, be sure to remove some of the varnish from both ends of the wire, or solder will not stick.
The continuity should be between red and black from the ringer.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Like D/P and Stub mentioned, you should see a less than 4000 ohms in that ringer across the red and black leads. To unwind the coil, remove the wrap, unwrap the coil from the soldered terminal until you find the break in the coil wire. Then strip the varnish away (a lighter will do it) and reconnect the wire to the soldered terminal. There are about 3500 feet of fine copper wire in that coil. Losing 50 or 60 feet won't hurt it much.

Otherwise, Steve from Arizona can get you one for $8 plus shipping.

Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 21, 2010, 01:54:51 PM
Greg;
Make sure all of the grommets for the ringer mount are in good condition or it will happen again. Also why is the red wire in a different position then it was originally. Rewire it the way it was when you got it. Look back at your previous wiring it shows how it was.
If you choose to re-solder the broken wire, be sure to remove some of the varnish from both ends of the wire, or solder will not stick.

D/P

I followed the wiring of my other 5302, not sure why they're different, maybe you can tell me why.  I set my testing gizmo to 200k, it reads 0L., but when I touched the probes to each spade tip, nothing changed, can't remember if that means good or bad.  

No matter, the ringer is kaput.  While examining it, the dark green wire broke off.  My guess is the wires probably got brittle with age, but stayed intact because they weren't moved.  The red one isn't far behind, just hanging on by a few threads.  So now I'm looking for a ringer for a 5302/302.

- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Greg;
The red and black wires are not part of the coil windings. The coil winding is connected to the rivet, the Red and black wires go through the center of the divots and solder on the back side. This is a common fix and all you need to do is remove the old solder, strip back the insulation about 1/4" then reinsert into the center of the rivet and re-solder.
Follow Jorge's advice for the coil and you are good to go, the ringer is perfectly fine.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on July 21, 2010, 06:12:27 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 21, 2010, 01:54:51 PM
Greg;

D/P
Greg....I have a ringer with gongs, email me.....Doug

I followed the wiring of my other 5302, not sure why they're different, maybe you can tell me why.  I set my testing gizmo to 200k, it reads 0L., but when I touched the probes to each spade tip, nothing changed, can't remember if that means good or bad.  

No matter, the ringer is kaput.  While examining it, the dark green wire broke off.  My guess is the wires probably got brittle with age, but stayed intact because they weren't moved.  The red one isn't far behind, just hanging on by a few threads.  So now I'm looking for a ringer for a 5302/302.

Kidphone

Greg G.

Don't do this at home.  Seems that the more "zeal" I get in detailing this, the more I'm slowly destroying it.

Not that serious though, I consider it a lesson learned.  CLR worked so well in getting the rust and corrosion off all the screws and other parts, I took a chance and treated the base too, as it had a lot of rust in places impossible to get at.  

Mistake.  Although CLR did not impact the Vaseline that I used to cover the stamps, it will remove paint.  Since the red stamps ("Loud", "5302 G", and the date) are on TOP of the paint, the CLR creeped underneath the paint and therefore damaged the stamps.  They're all pretty much history now, no choice but to repaint it.

But the good news is it was a good learning tool and I have a nice clean 5302, minus the stamps.  Another lesson learned is CLR is good for removing paint from a metal phone w/o a lot of odor (important because I live in an apartment, no real shop to work in).  The time spent in the CLR bath was about 9-10 hours.  I put it in the bath then went to work and checked it when I got back.  Nearly all the paint rinsed off under the tap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmnJPLFgPBU
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

At least you haven't dissolved the plastic shell yet (or have you?) :)

Larry

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 26, 2010, 04:57:51 PM
Briny,

At least you haven't dissolved the plastic shell yet (or have you?) :)

Larry

Not yet, but that's next.   :D   >:( 
- Mike Row
e