News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302 breakdown and progress.

Started by Greg G., July 14, 2010, 01:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Better?  Just need to figure out a way to replicate the markings.  The casualties on this one were the original ringer, the manufacture date stamp, the bottom markings ("Loud" w/arrow and "5302 G") and the strap that acts like a hinge when you open the case.  The hole in it ripped through, so I didn't bother trying to fix it, just tucked it up into the phone.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I was in a hurry to get this assembled after repainting the base so I could go on to the next one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whvm80QZ-xQ
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

The loss of the lettering is a shame, but that clean coat of paint on the bottom sure does look nice.  I'd have done the same thing.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Briny;
Never worry.
The following link will make you a rubber stamp to exactly duplicate the lettering. All you have to do is send a photo of the artwork, and the height and width you want it made. For about $5.00 you can have any stamp you want. I have the arrow with loud for WE500, and the C/D 500 both cost me I think $11.00.
the hardest part is the proper color paint. Silver/white, and vermilion will most likely have to be mixed by yourself. Small bottles of model paint should work fine.
D/P

http://www.rubberstamps.net/

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 02, 2010, 01:37:01 PM
Briny;
Never worry.
The following link will make you a rubber stamp to exactly duplicate the lettering. All you have to do is send a photo of the artwork, and the height and width you want it made. For about $5.00 you can have any stamp you want. I have the arrow with loud for WE500, and the C/D 500 both cost me I think $11.00.
the hardest part is the proper color paint. Silver/white, and vermilion will most likely have to be mixed by yourself. Small bottles of model paint should work fine.
D/P

http://www.rubberstamps.net/

Wow, then my local stamp maker was trying to rip me off.  I showed him exactly what I wanted by bringing with me another 5302, and he said he needed the art work with dimensions and would charge me $90!  I'm always too polite to blurt out the vulgarities that come to mind, but it had to do with applying part of his facial orifice to my posterior.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Brinybay on September 02, 2010, 02:26:32 AM
Better?  Just need to figure out a way to replicate the markings.  The casualties on this one were the original ringer, the manufacture date stamp, the bottom markings ("Loud" w/arrow and "5302 G") and the strap that acts like a hinge when you open the case.  The hole in it ripped through, so I didn't bother trying to fix it, just tucked it up into the phone.

You can put masking tape over the rivet heads and use a wood stick to press the tape tight against the periphery of the rivet. Then use an Exacto knife to cut off the excess tape. After painting, remove the tape over the rivet heads and believe or not, it looks very authentic. Or leave it as is. Who looks under phones anyway?  ??? ??? ???
Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on September 02, 2010, 02:53:33 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on September 02, 2010, 02:26:32 AM

You can put masking tape over the rivet heads and use a wood stick to press the tape tight against the periphery of the rivet. Then use an Exacto knife to cut off the excess tape. After painting, remove the tape over the rivet heads and believe or not, it looks very authentic. Or leave it as is. Who looks under phones anyway?  ??? ??? ???

It occurred to me after the fact that I should have masked the rivet heads, but I don't think it would be too difficult to scrape the paint off them.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

[/quote]
. Who looks under phones anyway?  ??? ??? ???

[/quote]
Price first, bottom second, transmitter usually third.
But that is just me.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

It only took me 3 months, but all is done.  I've replicated the manufacture date, the LOUD w/arrow, and the 5302 G.

I used one of those wheeled numeric/symbol rubber stamps for the date.  It's a different font than the original, but worked ok.

For the LOUD arrow and 5302 G, my local Office Depot had them custom made for me.  The LOUD arrow turned out great.  The 5302 G is twice the size of the original, but that was as small as they could get it, and I'm not going to be extremely fussy about it.  I've seen other 5302s marked with equally large fonts, even different style of LOUD arrows and with silver paint.

At the recommendation of the very helpful gal at the local hobby and modeling shop, I used enamel paints and mixed red and yellow to get orange.  She recommended enamel because she said the other choice, acrylic paint, would eat through the rubber stamps, also she said the enamel cleans up with water, and if I goof the first try, I can wipe it off quickly and try again.

I mixed a small amount of the red and yellow in an plastic food dish.  I did a few practice stamps on a piece scrap paper to determine the correct amount of paint to use.  Compare the results to my other two 5302s.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Here's a couple different examples of a different style of markings I found online:
- Mike Row
e