News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trouble shooting my NEC

Started by Greg G., February 26, 2009, 02:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Finally had some time to try to get the ringer on my NEC working.  The cord has a red, black and green wires.  The red and black ones are the ones that were wired to the jack.  I was told to experiment with the green one to try to get the ringer to work by hooking it up to each connection in turn.

Well, that experiment didn't produce a ring.  There were actually 4 contacts inside the jack, I tried all of them one at a time, made sure there was a dial tone, called the number from my cell, nothing.

I did discover however that perhaps the cord is bad.  As I jiggled it with the back of the jack off, I noticed the volume of the dial tone increased or decreased or ceased altogether depending on which way it was moved.  I'm hoping cords of this type can still be found.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

I don't have any experience with this type of phone so I'm not going to be of much help.  I would think that if dial tone is coming through the ringer should work too. 

mienaichizu

I have an NEC phone and it rings, maybe can you post some pics, I'll try to compare it with mine

Greg G.

Quote from: mienaichizu on March 04, 2009, 07:54:44 AM
I have an NEC phone and it rings, maybe can you post some pics, I'll try to compare it with mine

These photos were taken mainly to document all the markings in an attempt to find a manufacturing date, so they may not be what you need.  If you need to see it from some other angle, just let me know.  I think the cords may be bad, any idea where to get new ones?

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e