News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 w/SL ringer won't ring

Started by Greg G., June 26, 2012, 05:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I finally got around to messing with an AE 40 after getting the dial back from Steve Hilsz.  Everything's fine except I'm wondering why this ringer don't ring, particularly if it says S.L. on it.  I can somewhat read the wiring diagram, but refresh my memory on the difference between ground and metalic ringing and which do I need.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

I think it'd just be a standard case of moving the one ringer wire from the Yellow wire's terminal (G) over to the Green wire's terminal (L2)... :)

Greg G.

The only wire on G is the Yellow wire from the handset.  The two ringer wires are on L1 and L2.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on June 26, 2012, 10:44:04 PM
The only wire on G is the Yellow wire from the handset.  The two ringer wires are on L1 and L2.

The yellow is the set cord but looks to be "spare" anyway. IS the ringer condensor wired into ringer the circuit on the baseplate? The diagram shows the Blk-Wh wire from the other side of the ringer going to a different terminal, not the other line terminal.

Terry

Greg G.

It's not the wires as thought, just as well, because I can't see how they think any of them are white, assuming that "Wh" means white.

I noticed that the clapper was up against one gong with no wiggle room.  I did a high-tech adjustment and bent it the other way a bit.  It now wiggles, but it's very weak.

Observe:  http://youtu.be/s7jaMQ6I50s
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
             What are the numbers on the capacitor on the base . ( like my pic.) One side is for the talk circuit ( 4 or 5 mfd. and the other side is for ringer ( .08 mfd) . The ringer side needs to be at least .47 mfd. to 1 mfd.@  250 V. Mine is a 30~ frequency ringer that used a .08 mfd. and someone cut it out and put the 1mfd. in and it works fine now.
              Do you have a test cord ( or clip leads ) with a 1mfd. @ 250 V capacitor tied to one side of the line to check a disconnected ringer with?  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Don't forget that the bells are mounted off center so you can rotate them to get them even further from the clapper. This makes it louder until you exceed the distance where the clapper can still hit the bell. Then it gets MUCH quieter :)

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_collector on June 27, 2012, 01:08:44 AM
Don't forget that the bells are mounted off center so you can rotate them to get them even further from the clapper. This makes it louder until you exceed the distance where the clapper can still hit the bell. Then it gets MUCH quieter :)

Terry

I like starting with mechanical solutions first, so I tried your suggestion.  I adjusted the gongs, and it rings somewhat, but it's still weak, especially with the cover on.

Cover off: http://youtu.be/dmsfoea9N-w

Cover on: http://youtu.be/sQILEDPKCkc
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: stub on June 27, 2012, 12:15:44 AM
Brinybay,
             What are the numbers on the capacitor on the base . ( like my pic.) One side is for the talk circuit ( 4 or 5 mfd. and the other side is for ringer ( .08 mfd) . The ringer side needs to be at least .47 mfd. to 1 mfd.@  250 V. Mine is a 30~ frequency ringer that used a .08 mfd. and someone cut it out and put the 1mfd. in and it works fine now.
              Do you have a test cord ( or clip leads ) with a 1mfd. @ 250 V capacitor tied to one side of the line to check a disconnected ringer with?  stub

I have clip leads, they even survived Anita's "organizing" <g>.  The capacitor has "D68640A" and "4MF" marked on one end, I don't see any other markings.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
        Can you disconnect your ringer and hook it up like mine with clip leads and a 1 mfd. @ 250 V DC capacitor ? Call from cell , if it rings better one side of your capacitor in phone is weak or bad.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: stub on June 27, 2012, 03:52:03 PM
Brinybay,
        Can you disconnect your ringer and hook it up like mine with clip leads and a 1 mfd. @ 250 V DC capacitor ? Call from cell , if it rings better one side of your capacitor in phone is weak or bad.   stub

I can try, but I don't have one of those 1 mfd. @ 250 V DC capacitor doo-hickies on hand, I'll have to make a trip to Radio Shack.  I can think of only one other phone in my collection that actually had something electronically wrong with it, not counting frequency ringers.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: Brinybay on June 28, 2012, 02:49:30 AMI'll have to make a trip to Radio Shack.
I've found the selection of high voltage capacitors at local Radio Shack stores to be quite limited lately.

stub

TelePlay,
             RS closed in town,  I have to do mine on line now or drive 35 miles one way.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

Quote from: stub on June 28, 2012, 08:25:39 AM
TelePlay,
            RS closed in town,  I have to do mine on line now or drive 35 miles one way.  stub

One of the advantages of living in a metro area is having 9 RS stores within a 15 mile radius. Had 10 but one closed.

Went on line yesterday and saw they listed 272-1055 1uF 250V caps. Stopped in one store today and they had 4. Bought two. They used to be blue, now they are brown.

One big disadvantage of living in a metro area is NO FLEA MARKETS within 30 miles.  >:(

Greg G.

Quote from: stub on June 27, 2012, 12:15:44 AM
Brinybay,

Ok, I got a 1mfd. @ 250 V capacitor and hooked it and the clip leads like in your picture, but nothings different, it's still a weak ring.

http://youtu.be/jZ9-8vU7g0E
- Mike Row
e