News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial noise

Started by Greg G., April 16, 2013, 07:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

What is that noise when the dial returns?  I'm not referring to the clickity-clack, it's that raspy noise when it fully returns.
 http://youtu.be/ecYgIPN-nAo
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

southernphoneman

Quote from: Brinybay on April 16, 2013, 07:40:43 PM
What is that noise when the dial returns?  I'm not referring to the clickity-clack, it's that raspy noise when it fully returns.  http://youtu.be/ecYgIPN-nAo
I watched the video AND I AM NO DIAL man but, it sounds like something to do with the recoil spring but I am not sure, come on experienced dial members.

HowardPgh

I think that ZZZZZZ sound at the end of the rotation is the ratchet in the governor that is still spinning after the dial comes to rest.
Howard

wds

I have a #4 and a #2 that makes the exact same sound.  It's the govenor.  Perfectly normal.
Dave

Greg G.

Quote from: wds on April 17, 2013, 01:48:12 PM
I have a #4 and a #2 that makes the exact same sound.  It's the govenor.  Perfectly normal.

That's what I needed to know, but I still don't like it, makes the phone sound cheesy.  Is it something that can be fixed?  It's a 4H.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

wds

My dial that makes that noice is my favorite dial.  I love the little whirl after the clickety clack of the dial returning to rest.  You could check with Steve Hilz, but I would leave it alone.  If you don't like it, I might have a quiet #4 I would trade you for.
Dave

Greg G.

Quote from: wds on April 17, 2013, 02:04:45 PM
My dial that makes that noice is my favorite dial.  I love the little whirl after the clickety clack of the dial returning to rest.  You could check with Steve Hilz, but I would leave it alone.  If you don't like it, I might have a quiet #4 I would trade you for.

Maybe, but right now it's just a cosmetic thing.  I need to hook this up to see if it even works.
- Mike Row
e