"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

TP-6-A problem

Started by Meb2199, May 04, 2013, 06:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meb2199

Hi all,

I'm having some difficulty with a TP-6-A and am trying to ascertain whether I should try to
get a refund from the shop where I bought it.

The problem is that it's not calling the numbers that I'm dialing (tried to call my own cell
phone and got some stranger on the other end!).

Is this a common problem? Is it reparable? Moreover, is it expensive to repair?

I got the phone for $150.00 and was told by the seller that this was a good price. Not sure that's true and thought I'd defer to the experts on this forum.

Thanks very much for any advice!

wds

Can you post a picture of the phone?  If it's like mine, I'd say you paid too much.
Dave

HarrySmith

Hi and welcome to the forum. Some pictures would help with advice, assesment and identification. It sounds like you amy have paid too much.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Meb2199

Photo is attached. Thanks much for sharing your thoughts. What would you say is a fair price for the phone?

I was told by the shopkeeper that it had been outfitted to work on today's telecom systems. Maybe that accounts for the higher price?

Also, it seems to be working better now. When I dial, I keep my finger in the hole until it rotates back to its original location on the dial. That seems to help.

Thanks again!

-----------------

EDIT: rotated image

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum. Handset appears to be a Kellogg. Phone look like it has a new coat of paint. What are they asking? I am guessing it is a lot!....be careful, this are plentiful...Doug
Kidphone

Meb2199

$150.00. Is that too much? Even with the wiring to be a functional phone?

wds

I know I've bought a few of these with the correct handset for about $25 - $40 depending on condition.  Nice phone though.
Dave

Meb2199

Where did you buy them for that price? I can't find any online for less than I paid.

wds

Dave

TelePlay

This link will take you to what several have sold for, in various states of condition, on eBay recently.

http://tinyurl.com/cn664jp

You picture is of a metal shell Connecticut TP-6-A fondly referred to as a "toaster" and not a plastic shell North Electric TP-6-A which is similar but has a different style shell. The metal shell has those ridges above the dial below the handset and a rounder overall shape.

wds

I like the 2nd to the last one on the list.  A d1 with an E1 handset, A Connecticut, and a nice wood ringer.  $56
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on May 04, 2013, 10:17:19 PM
I like the 2nd to the last one on the list.  A d1 with an E1 handset, A Connecticut, and a nice wood ringer.  $56

Yes, I saw that in the list but ignored it because that sale was for 2 phones and an extension wood box ringer, 3 total items.

The toaster is shown in the additional listing pictures, front and back.

That was a nice price for that group of items.

G-Man

Quote from: Meb2199 on May 04, 2013, 08:47:13 PM
Photo is attached. Thanks much for sharing your thoughts. What would you say is a fair price for the phone?

I was told by the shopkeeper that it had been outfitted to work on today's telecom systems. Maybe that accounts for the higher price?

Also, it seems to be working better now. When I dial, I keep my finger in the hole until it rotates back to its original location on the dial. That seems to help.

Thanks again!

Your phone was always fully functional when used on a standard telephone line.

Since this telephone was made for the military it was originally equipped with a straight-line ringer and the transmission circuit used standard telephone industry compatible components.

In fact, after the war, many independents purchased them surplus from the government and used them to serve their subscribers for many years.

The only modification that would have been needed for today's networks was to replace the hardwired cord going to the wall with one that has a modular plug.
A standard length replacement cord would cost in the neighborhood of one-dollar or less or slightly more for longer cords.

Of course he is entitled to a decent profit and he should be compensated for his time for replacing the cord and cleaning it up but I tend to think that $150 is probably too much of a premium for his efforts.

Since it does not work correctly I would suggest that the dealer, at his expense, send the dial to Steve Hilsz for repair. Steve is an expert and his cost are extremely reasonable so the dealer will still be able to keep a tidy profit for himself.

zaphod01

I have three of these. One is a dial blank. The other two have dialers. One works fine and the other sticks. They look like AE (finger stop position). Paid $17.00 for the dial blank phone and it's the one that sits in my office at work. It always draws comments such as 'what the heck is that?'.

I agree with the Steve Hilsz suggestion. He recently cleaned and calibrated a couple of dialers for me and I was extremely happy with the result and the price!

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

wds

I wanted to post pictures of the 2 phones and ringer that sold for $56 as this list will become obsolete in a couple weeks.
Dave