News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Red Continental is here!!

Started by finlover, January 29, 2010, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

When this phone was on ebay, there was some speculation that it might be a back yard respray of a black phone.  Now that it has arrived I'm happy to report that it is the real deal!  This is definitely a factory job--no spray can could produce a smooth and even finish like this.  Also, if this had originally been a black phone, there would be black overpray on the inside along with the red but there is none.  Another indicator is that the condition of this example is uniformly nice--every component, from the fingerwheel to the suede base, looks great.  If this were a repaint, I don't think that would be the case.

After a good cleaning and waxing it looks good as new!  As you would expect, there is paint wear on the plunger, but I'd be suspicious if there weren't.  This phone must have spent its life in a spare room because it obviously saw infrequent use.

I believe the black rubber cords it came with (dated '55) are the originals.  To my eye the handset cord was disproportionately large so I ordered red cloth-covered cords from Old Phone Works.

The 4H dial has a '34 date and the number plate is dated '55.  It is my understanding that Comtinentals and Imperials had number plates with the curved OPERATOR and no Z.  I haven't chosen a dial card for it yet.  I wish I could find one with a red background like I've seen on other people's.  By the way, I found out that "Pekin" is the French spelling of Peking.

Anyway, on to the photos!

finlover

one more shot

Craig T

finlover

Thanks, Craig, I couldn't be happier with it!

Dennis Markham

Nice phone Greg!  There was some speculation that this phone was the darker red, rather than the more orange-red of Pekin Red.  I am under the impression that they did paint these in similar colors to the soft plastic Model 500 colors.  Does this color match up to the soft plastic Cherry Red 500?  It looks darker than the Pekin red one.  Could be my monitor though.

The one I have is Pekin Red and not nearly in as nice condition as yours.  I am also in need of a handset cord.

It looks like yours is much darker red.  I haven't seen another one of those on eBay since I started watching for them.  The darker red is much less common than the Pekin Red like mine.

finlover

Thanks, Dennis!  The color seems a little bit more orangey than my Cherry Red '55 500, but it's not really a lighter color.  If the two phones aren't right next to each other they look to be the same color.  Not having seen Pekin Red in person I'm not so sure.  Keep in mind that I took the photos outside on a cloudy day, which tends to give some colors a bluish cast.  It would be great if my Continental were the rarer red!

Now that I look at the red phones in my collection, the '55 is a tad lighter and more orange than my red '68 WE multi-line phone.  I guess there was some variation within the same color, especially early on.

finlover

Just found these pictures of a Pekin Red 302.  My phone is definitely not the same color.

Dennis Markham

Greg, that color of yours looks awesome in the photos.  Bring it over and we can compare them.

When I bought the one I have I thought sure it was going to be a back yard paint job.  My buddy brought his over and set it on the table next to mine.  It looks like they were both painted at the same time.  That confirmed for me that the paint job was done in a refurb shop.  You got a very nice phone there and I think it was worth the money--especially if it's the darker, "blood red" Continental.

finlover

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 29, 2010, 11:49:21 PM
You got a very nice phone there and I think it was worth the money--especially if it's the darker, "blood red" Continental.

Thanks, Dennis, I felt like I "bled" a little bit when I shelled out 170 bucks for this puppy!  But in the end I'm glad I did.

ntophones

That is one beautiful find for you, finlover. My gosh, that paint job is incredible! It looks like it is right out of the box!
Congratulations!
--nto

Doug Rose

Greg....OUTSTANDING PHONE!!!! You have made it shine like new. I think the phone is definitely worth what you paid for it. You don't see these every day, especially in this fine condition. Congrats.....Doug
Kidphone

finlover

Quote from: ntophones on January 30, 2010, 07:34:55 AM
That is one beautiful find for you, finlover. My gosh, that paint job is incredible! It looks like it is right out of the box!
Congratulations!

Thank you, nto!  It really didn't take much to get it looking like this--no machine buffing required.

finlover

Quote from: Kidphone on January 30, 2010, 07:56:25 AM
Greg....OUTSTANDING PHONE!!!! You have made it shine like new. I think the phone is definitely worth what you paid for it. You don't see these every day, especially in this fine condition. Congrats.....Doug
Thanks so much, Kidphone!  That means a lot coming from a true connoisseur like you.  I know it's hard to tell from photos, but in your opinion is my phone Pekin Red or blood red like your 302?

mienaichizu

wow greg that's nice, its almost in mint condition

McHeath

All I can say is WOW!!  What a fab phone!  Your time machine is working well. :)