News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Discussion of several options for wall end line cord connectors

Started by bellsystem, August 10, 2017, 03:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellsystem

Hey, I totally forgot about BSPs! Do you know which BSPs might be relevant to this project?

Dan/Panther

I have been on this forum since day one. I have NEVER seen the bickering between members reach this low.
We take pride in the fact that this forum is the epitome of co-operation between members.
FRANKLY the exchanges I read lately look like threads from Facebook. Name calling, put downs, and grammar/spelling corrections to criticize someone don't work here. 
I think we have all heard the saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything."  I think a better way to say it would be. "If you can't say something nice, maybe you are in the wrong Forum."  This is not a contest to see who is the superior Telephone collector, the purpose is to make the one with the least knowledge of Telephones, equal in  to the person with the most knowledge, through education, NOT RIDICULE , ARGUING, OR PUT DOWNS. PLEASE GIVE EVERY ATTEMPT TO HALT THIS BEHAVIOR.  We have evil ways to stop it, if we can't do it individually.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: bellsystem on August 12, 2017, 07:56:46 AM
Hey, I totally forgot about BSPs! Do you know which BSPs might be relevant to this project?
You'll find lots using Google.  No one needs to tell you.  All you need to do is try!

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 12, 2017, 11:56:28 AM
I have been on this forum since day one. I have NEVER seen the bickering between members reach this low.
We take pride in the fact that this forum is the epitome of co-operation between members.
FRANKLY the exchanges I read lately look like threads from Facebook. Name calling, put downs, and grammar/spelling corrections to criticize someone don't work here. 
I think we have all heard the saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything."  I think a better way to say it would be. "If you can't say something nice, maybe you are in the wrong Forum."  This is not a contest to see who is the superior Telephone collector, the purpose is to make the one with the least knowledge of Telephones, equal in  to the person with the most knowledge, through education, NOT RIDICULE , ARGUING, OR PUT DOWNS. PLEASE GIVE EVERY ATTEMPT TO HALT THIS BEHAVIOR.  We have evil ways to stop it, if we can't do it individually.

D/P
I really think there is a quick and easy fix. The offending members should be suspended or removed from the Forum. Until this year everyone treated everyone right. Were there disagreements....sure. Were they handled professionally...for the most part....yes.

Unless we want to keep writing these posts  and having the offending members ignore them, something should be done. Pure and simple....suspend them!

Where are all the oldtimers who used to populate the Forum gone? We have enough strife with life. Let's end this BS.

850 posts in 8 months!!

It's a hobby....it's supposed to be fun...Doug
Kidphone

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 12, 2017, 11:56:28 AM
No one has infinite patience.  This thread went way beyond what it ought to have because of resistance to reading and accepting the instructions given.  It would be worthwhile to review the history of the previous posts made by the originator or this topic to see how inflammatory they were before making judgements about the difficulties people experienced trying to help with something which could have been resolved in 6 messages total instead of 50+.

bellsystem

Somebody posted to a topic or sent me a PM saying, among other things, that I am taking and not contributing to this site and that I should accomplish something and "prove" that I can do something besides ask questions.

So, here are 3 spade lugs crimped onto the green cord - or rather the wires inside the cord. Yes, I know the yellow one was unnecessary; I did that for practice. I think I did them right, but I really have no way of testing it until the connection block arrives and would not know if I did it wrong anyhow.

Here's a picture. Hopefully, I haven't done anything wrong by taking one, but no doubt someone will find fault with this.

Victor Laszlo

"I really have no way of testing it until the connection block arrives "

YES YOU DO!!!

It's called a meter.

Weeks ago, I suggested that you acquire a set of simple tools, including a multimeter, if you intend to work on, restore, or install telephones.   This habit to ignore advice is what gets us annoyed.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: bellsystem on August 16, 2017, 05:16:05 PM
Somebody posted to a topic or sent me a PM saying, among other things, that I am taking and not contributing to this site and that I should accomplish something and "prove" that I can do something besides ask questions.

So, here are 3 spade lugs crimped onto the green cord - or rather the wires inside the cord. Yes, I know the yellow one was unnecessary; I did that for practice. I think I did them right, but I really have no way of testing it until the connection block arrives and would not know if I did it wrong anyhow.

Here's a picture. Hopefully, I haven't done anything wrong by taking one, but no doubt someone will find fault with this.
You should trim away all the thread ends with a pair of scissors.   

You probably will have to remove more of the jacket for the leads to be long enough to reach the terminals on any kind of terminal block with enough slack so the leads are not taut.   

Normally the jacket is stripped before lugs are applied by carefully making a shallow cut into the jacket in a circle at the required distance (1½-2") from the end and then slipping the jacket off using a single edge razor or sharp knife.  This produces a clean edge at the end of the jacket and is much easier than chipping it away in pieces as long as you are careful and don't damage the conductors by cutting too far into the jacket.

Even if you do not cut through the jacket fully, it will tear cleanly at the cut line because it is thinner there due to the cut.  Strippers for large wire approximately the size of the 3 lead bundle (~#12-10AWG) also usually work well for removing the jacket cleanly and easily.  Ideal makes strippers in various size ranges.  The one which covers these larger sizes works well for stripping the jacket all sorts of round cords and inside wire.

bellsystem

Thanks for the advice both,

I realize you could probably tell the job was done by me. I'll finalize and clean it up once I get the block.

I didn't mean that it is impossible to test until the block arrives. I just meant that I - as in right now, myself - cannot because I don't have one of those yet. I don't ignore everything, even if it seems that way. I've noted that, and will get one soon. I'm doing things one at a time.

Victor Laszlo

"...with enough slack so the leads are not taught. "  (Alex G. Bell)

"You have to be carefully taut." (Rodgers and Hammerstein, "South Pacific")

HarrySmith

Quote from: bellsystem on August 16, 2017, 05:16:05 PM

Those crimps look like they should work just fine. Once all the detritus is cleaned up you should have a proper setup to hook to your connection block up.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"