News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1957 Stromberg Carlson Hands Free Phone

Started by ....., July 24, 2017, 08:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finely got around to putting away the great pieces I got from Dave Hunter after visiting him. I had to store most of it in my cargo trailer, as my garage was getting full. I kept out the Stromberg Carlson Hands Free Phone, it is the next project on my list.

HarrySmith

That is a very cool phone, I have never seen one like that. Keep us updated on the restoration!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

oldguy

don't know about the phone but you have a very nice trailer.
Gary

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 25, 2017, 07:24:06 AM
That is a very cool phone, I have never seen one like that. Keep us updated on the restoration!

Thanks Harry, Will do, it is the very next thing on my list. I have never seen one before either, so it should be interesting.

Quote from: oldguy on July 26, 2017, 11:23:17 PM
don't know about the phone but you have a very nice trailer.

Thanks Gary, I got a super deal on it this spring and it works out well for the overflow that my wife can't see. :)

Alex G. Bell

Does it contain transistors or battery operated vacuum tubes such as 7-pin miniature and hearing aid types like the WE 1A speakerphone?  I suppose probably tubes.

Any date markings?  Perhaps there are on the transmitter and receiver.

unbeldi

Did you get the small microphone unit that belongs to this set ?  I don't see it in the picture.

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on July 27, 2017, 09:48:51 AM
Does it contain transistors or battery operated vacuum tubes such as 7-pin miniature and hearing aid types like the WE 1A speakerphone?  I suppose probably tubes.

Any date markings?  Perhaps there are on the transmitter and receiver.

Sorry, but I haven't had a chance to have a good look at it yet. Just finishing up another project. As soon as I get it apart, I will post some more pictures and information on it.

Quote from: unbeldi on July 27, 2017, 10:18:37 AM
Did you get the small microphone unit that belongs to this set ?  I don't see it in the picture.

No, there wasn't any microphone with it. Do you have any pictures of what it should look like? 

unbeldi

Quote from: Duffy on July 27, 2017, 11:32:10 AM
No, there wasn't any microphone with it. Do you have any pictures of what it should look like?

Here is the entry from the 1960 SC catalog:

Quote from: unbeldi on July 27, 2017, 11:47:14 AM

This is great information, Thanks!

HarrySmith

Quote from: unbeldi on July 27, 2017, 11:47:14 AM

Very Cool! I would imagine the microphone would be rather difficult to source!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

That mike was made by Shure and I've seen them in other applications like with tape recorders, so they're not exceedingly rare. Other manufacturers put their names on them, like Bell and Howell, RCA and Revere. They are Shure CR-80, CR-81 and CR-84 that I've seen on a quick check of eBay. They seem to be quite pricey, so good luck finding a cheap one. They have a hammertone paint finish that comes in several different colors like gray, brown, green and beige. Here's a link to one on eBay and all are about $100 or more. Yikes! Keep looking and you may find a cheaper one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192253843064

When I started working on school AV equipment about 1980 these mikes were everywhere. I never thought they'd be valuable.
Jonathan

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Duffy on July 27, 2017, 11:32:10 AM
I have an identical mike, not as part of a speakerphone, except mine has the original Shure Brothers name tag on it and it has a slide switch on the upper right side which the S-C version might not have.  It's marked "Model 510S" on the back.

Mine measures 1000 ohms DC resistance which is kind of high for a "dynamic" mike but it deflects a compass, so it contains a magnet and it's almost certainly a low impedance "dynamic" rather than very high impedance "crystal" (piezo-electric).  Perhaps the Shure CR-80, CR-81 and CR-84 jsowers mentioned are piezo. 

Piezo ("crystal") is more likely with vacuum tube AV equipment and would be naturally more compatible if the circuitry inside the main unit uses vacuum tube.  Dynamic is more likely if it's transistorized, but 1960 is a bit early for S-C to have produced a transistorized design.

It should be easy to determine the characteristics of all these models on line.  I've found Shure mike catalogs in the past when I was researching a 55S.

paul-f

Similar Shure mics are readily available, but you'll probably want to look for one with the proper SC markings like the one in the photo here:

http://www.paul-f.com/sc1583.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Quote from: paul-f on July 27, 2017, 07:28:38 PM
Similar Shure mics are readily available, but you'll probably want to look for one with the proper SC markings like the one in the photo here:

http://www.paul-f.com/sc1583.htm

Thanks Paul for the picture and the link to your site. That information will help me out a lot with my restore.

paul-f

You're welcome, Doug.

I see I haven't updated that page since 2002.  As I recall, I had a digital camera that was tethered to my computer, as most of the electronics were on an ISA card inside the computer. Those 320px × 240px photos were the maximum resolution!  How things have changed. I should update the page as time permits. I'll also check the paper files for more info.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line