News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Re-Purposing/Re-Cycling Genius of Western Electric

Started by Fabius, April 26, 2014, 08:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

The pictures are of a war time re-cycling of a Western Electric 160 series payphone upper housing into a 653AX wall phone. The dial is marked 2AB with the B crossed out. The used as many payphone parts as they could.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

653AX mark on back. The X indicated modified I believe.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Notice they left the Western Electric 10-G lock in place and  attached a device so the screw in the wood base could screw in. Notice that 302 parts are used. They are dated 1943.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Inside top of upper housing. There are 4 holes like this housing had a plate and they are plugged. I wonder about that because I don't believe the 160s had a plate behind the coin gauge. The 4 bolts/nuts hold the plate that covers the coin gauge opening. I found a 1937 date from its past life as a paystation on the housing.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

I have this promo photo of the 635AX in use. Found it on eBay. The telephone book on the table is a 1943 Manhattan NY book. The photo is dated 1944 on the back.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Nick in Manitou

Tom,

I was not aware of this model phone.  Thanks for posting about it!  Are these common?

Thanks again for the info.

Nick

Fabius

I think they're pretty scarce. I've never seen another and only heard of one other being in possession of someone.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

paul-f

So, you've had this one a while, Tom!  It's shown on page 25 of Dooner (Seven Decades - blue) (c) 1993, and estimated at $50-100 in the price guide.

It looks like you have changed the number card.

I wonder if this model was shown in any of the Bell System employee magazines in the early 1940s.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Fabius

Quote from: paul-f on April 27, 2014, 12:58:36 AM
So, you've had this one a while, Tom!  It's shown on page 25 of Dooner (Seven Decades - blue) (c) 1993, and estimated at $50-100 in the price guide.

It looks like you have changed the number card.

I wonder if this model was shown in any of the Bell System employee magazines in the early 1940s.

It was my poor photography that made the number card disappear. I was using my iphone camera. The number card is the same as in the book. This photo is a little better. II believe theGUnderson exchange was in Manhattan.

Good thought about Bell employee magazines. As I come across them at shows and such I'll check them out.

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

paul-f

The number card in the Dooner photo reads VErmont 8-2356 and Wait for Dial Tone.  ???

I have a bunch of New England Telephone Topics magazines from the early 40s and will try to find some time to look quickly through them over the next few weeks.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Fabius

Quote from: paul-f on April 27, 2014, 05:24:43 PM
The number card in the Dooner photo reads VErmont 8-2356 and Wait for Dial Tone.  ???

I have a bunch of New England Telephone Topics magazines from the early 40s and will try to find some time to look quickly through them over the next few weeks.

Maybe I changed it to get a Manhattan exchange on it. Don't remember changing it but you know how it is with old people. That would be great if you found something. Thanks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Babybearjs

awesome phone, too bad I don't have one... would look cool next to my AE 21 wall phone!
John