News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Dial Markings

Started by Fabius, May 02, 2014, 11:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

This 5H dial is marked on the bacl 552T in a yelowish paint. Ehat does it mean? Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/llkfe34

--------------------

EDIT: Pictures added
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

552=May, 1952=date stamped by WE repair shop on a telco-owned dial before it was reused
T=? Possibly the WE location

Quote from: Fabius on May 02, 2014, 11:05:19 AM
This 5H dial is marked on the bacl 552T in a yelowish paint. Ehat does it mean? Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/llkfe34

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

BDM

Is it me, or does that governor have a dent in it?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

It looks like it has a flat side to me as well, Brian.

LarryInMichigan

I expect that one could do better than that for the price.

Larry

BDM

Not sure, but that dent would bother me. Maybe nothing, but I'm anal about things like that. I seem to remember those are press fitted into the cases I believe. I'd need to take a look at one to be sure.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

poplar1

Please include pictures rather than just an ebay link, which will be a dead end soon.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Brian,

It does appear from the photograph, that the governor is 'dinged', dented', 'out-of round', or 'jus' plain ol' whoppy-jawed', as we would say where ah growed up... ;)<banjo>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
</banjo>

Given the tolerances, I probably would consider this a concern on an item of great worth, (or great asking value); less so on an everyday item, if I were interested in purchase...

Good eye for detail, spotting that; might save somebody some potential grief, further on down the road....at the present asking price, I would have to click on to the next item. Solely one man's perspective... others' mileage may well vary. ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

BDM

Hi Mr. Bones. Yes it does, but depends how far down that dent goes. It may not affect operation at all (governor rotation). But it still concerns me. Again that is me, it may not bother the next person. Just matters on what you expect. For instance, if it's important to have a date code matching phone that will be a shelf trophy, no biggie. Buy it! If it will be used and if you're lucky in that the dent is only at the very top (therefore not affecting operation at all), then take a chance and buy it. But if the date is not important, then personally I would pass and wait for another. #5 dials are very common and not at all hard to find. Again that is strictly my opinion. Yours or anyone elses may vary. I hold no judgment in either way one decides. Just think about it before you hit that "bid" button is all I ask
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mr. Bones

Very eloquently stated, and akin to what  I was trying to convey. If one needed that particular dial to complete a dates matching phone, I'd already be waiting on a tracking number lol! As we both pointed out, there are more available, fairly commonly.

I, perhaps mistakenly, liken the out of round governor to a similar brake drum, in function... will it work? Perhaps, even probably. For a while. Should it be repaired? Decidedly.

I agree, Caveat Emptor; look before you bid, or Buy It Now, always! ;)

As we both previously have stated, this is only the opinion of one man...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Fabius

Quote from: poplar1 on May 02, 2014, 06:52:19 PM
Please include pictures rather than just an ebay link, which will be a dead end soon.

Sorry. I was lazy.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Fabius

Quote from: tallguy58 on May 04, 2014, 09:16:53 AM
My understanding is that "T" means the date it was tested and "L" lubricated.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10043.msg106657#msg106657

Makes sense. Thanks. So it's a fairly common mark? I never noticed it before.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905