News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is required to make a WE 555 Cord Board work?

Started by Ed D, April 16, 2011, 06:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: Wallphone on April 21, 2011, 07:08:19 PM
Dave, I was just making sure that it didn't need three different taps on the power supply. It looks like I'm all set with the Lorain power supply that I have. It seems strange to me that your QGG1A takes 10VAC and converts it to 100VAC 30HZ. But that is probably because I don't know much about Key Systems yet. A TCI member gave me a 1A2 Key System but I haven't picked it up from him yet.
Doug Pav  

Hi Doug:

While I didn't save a photo of the full QUJ11A KSU, here is a photo of the full QUJ9A KSU unit. It uses the same power supply and frequency generator, as did many NE 1A2 KSU's. I don't know why it was built separate from the power supply unlike the Loraine, but that is the way they did them. Perhaps it was done this way as changing the ring generator unit would be less expensive than replacing the whole supply if the ring generator failed. This KSU is the one I use for demo of 1A2 in the museum - I have it set up with 5 phones on display in a working configuration.

I also have a 1A system too, but not set up yet. That system uses a rotary stepping switch for intercom, unlike the electronic system in this unit.

The main Key system in the museum is a Norstar 6x16 complete with all the bells and whistles including MOH, which has three phones in the display area, and one in the workshop; also one in the office, and a Toshiba Strata DK280, and Octel 200 Message server (voice mail not yet in operation) set up with 3 demo phones in the entrance room of the museum. Beside the QUJ9A is a small shoebox KSU. Oops: I forgot the Tie Modkey 612 KSU system set up alongside the 6x16 complete with three phones. All systems except for the 1A are operational for demos.

I also have two more of the QGG1A ring generators. You use what you have on hand, so I sacrificed the QUJ11A so I could use its power supply and ring generator for the 555 supply. Its excellent ring interrupter and interrupter socket came in useful on my switching demo which I built around the same time as wiring the 555. Most of its KTU's have been kept as spares for the QUJ9B and for the shoebox KSU, and one of its 66 blocks was used to punch down the phone lines connected to the 555 and is connected to the board using male and female Amphenol connectors, so that the board can easily moved when needed. Waste not, want not!

Happy Easter weekend to all!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

rubey

Hi,
I was wondering if I posted a pic of my 101G Power Source for my PBX 555 and a pic of the back of the PBX would someone be able to walk me through the wiring required to hookup my PBX?

Thanks from Seattle,
Ruben

AE_Collector

Get posting Ruben! Were here to help.

And welcome to the Rotary Phone Forum by the way....

Terry

rubey

I'm still learning how to navigate this forum. I hope I'm not posting in multiple places.  Anyway, here are some pics of what I have...

BTW, I updated my email to fix the spam issue I was having with my last email account. I'm hoping to hear from you all soon. I will post some pics of a 101G that I have but I'm afraid to use it because there is a wire that is not connecting to one of the posts and their appears to be a ground.

Ruben
In Seattle

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rubey

Hi Guys,
I'm apparently having troubles posting additional photos of my power plants. I may have to try later. I have a 101G and 20B2.

Ruben

MuseumTelephones

I also want to make a working exhibit for a public museum.  I have been unable to find a 555 wiring diagram.  Also can somebody  tell me what wires to connect to which terminals on these terminal boards.  Thank you for any help you can give us.  Jim
Jim McCall AKA MuseumTelephones Spokane Valley Heritage Museum volunteer

pdxjim911

Jim Churchill
Hillsboro, Oregon

C*NET 1-821-9771

MuseumTelephones

Jim Churchill.  Thank you very much.  That appears to be what I need.  A lot of the info and wiring matches up with my 555 Switch Board.  There is still a lot this novice does not know or understand on the schematics but a lot of that I don't need.  The multi pair cable coming out of my board, with the end connector missing, has a lot of conductors that are identical in color so I will apparently be spending a lot of time tracing them.  Also I will then want to figure out if there is a standard pattern of connecting up Amphenol connectors and push down blocks for 12V DC, ring power etc.  I might be able to get some of it figured out from old used cables and connectors I have.  I suppose at the Amphenol I could just invent my own pattern. Thanks again. Jim McCall Spokane WA

MuseumTelephones

I am continue to make progress on getting a 555 Cord Board to be a working demonstration for the Spokane Valley Heritage Museum in Spokane WA.  There are a few parts missing.  The main missing part is the rear access cover board.  Other parts are small minor parts which I believe will help make it complete but not needed to make it functional.  Can anybody help us?  Thanks Jim

RB

Hi Jim
This is the important stuff, from what you have. and a couple pics.
it should get you going. :)
If you wish to identify the wires in the big cable, start with the extensions on the block, and trace them to the cut end of cable. colors should be same on block as cable end.

Page G2 Fig. 54 shows battery and ground terminations on the MISC. terminal strip:
BAT = term's 1, 2, 3 & 4
GRD = term's 45, 46, 47 & 48
+/- RINGING = term 22
RINGING GRD  = term 24
The R/H portion of the 4th TS seems to be marked "MISC" 1-52.  That's where power and other singular connections are made. 

To the left of that it's marked "TRKS" 1-14 on the fanning strip with T&R on the terminal insulation strips themselves, which is where the incoming trunks to the CO trunk units connect.
1 through 4 is battery  -24v,  45, 46, 47, 48 is battery +24v,   and 22, 24 is ring voltage.
Keep in mind the terminals can be strapped from the front, as well as the back of the strip. They attached -24v to terminal 4 with is strapped with terminal 1 through 4.  Ground +24v went to frame ground, because of strapping is common with 46 through 48.  Ring is 21, because of strapping 21 is strapped to 22.  Drawing shows Ring voltage on 22, 24.
The feed from the ringing source is supposed to terminate on 20 with a strap between 20 & 21 so that ringing can be disconnected if necessary by removing the strap rather than having a lead with ringing on it not tied down to a terminal.
12 & 16 are strapped - as they should be.

24, 28 & 32 are strapped - ditto

25 & 29 are strapped - ditto

35 & 38 are strapped - this does not match the SD.  The SD shows 37 & 38 strapped.  Terminal 35 feeds a ground to the CO trunk circuits in the left and right panels and is fed from an external building or CO ground.

38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 are strapped together on the factory side of the TS.  40 also terminates a lead to the framework so there is no reason to be tying cable leads to screws on the framework.
One Tip. Clean the contacts of both Ringing keys on each cord unit.  If you find when you plug in, your supervisory lights dont act the way they should, or you cant hear or transmit from an extension, start here. Tip and Ring go through these contacts on the way to the cord plug. It took me a while, but when i was troubleshooting my board, I found dirty contacts on the Ringing key causes all sorts of problems.

MuseumTelephones

RB  Thank you very much.  With your excellent help I got everything working except the trunk lights do not come on.  I can however make a demonstration unit for our museum without using trunk lines.  JIM

MuseumTelephones

I did in fact get that 555 lit up and running properly.  We now have another 555 for our nonprofit public Spokane Valley Heritage Museum but it has an additional problem.  The wires at the Terminal Blocks have all been cut including removing a section of cable loom that goes from the MISC terminal block to the controls inside the Switch Board.  STA and TRK wires will not be a big issue but it will take some time to track some wires and connect them.  The real problem is that "MISC" wires such as 24VDC, ring voltage etc have some colors duplicated.  I do have wiring diagram SD-66520-01-G2 so I have good documentation on the terminal numbers but I don't know which wire to connect to the duplicated colors in the loom wire.  In other words I don't know where to search for the ends on the controls to make sure I am connecting to the correct loom wire to the MISC terminal block.  It appears I need diagrams that were used in the factory to build the 555.  I have been advised that they may be out there someplace.  Or I need to understand the schematic mentioned in this posting so that I can find the control end of those wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Jim

RB

Wow Jim.
I hope you have a large cup of coffee.
Your gonna need it to wash down that huge bite you just took. lol.
I can't think of anything harder, that tryin to trace all the wires in a board...
Your gonna need a Beep box.
Most dvm's have them built in now.
Determin what your goin for, then look at the actual part, like extention #1 on the board.
It will have 2 wires going directly to it from the terminal strips.
T & R.
The colors of those wires are what you are lookin for at the end of the loom.
Clip one end of the dvm to T or R, and touch each wire in the loom end, till you hear a Beep.
You don't need to restore every extension, just the ones you want to work again.
Use the same process to do the next extension.

MuseumTelephones

RB, yes.  Thank you.  The T and R for STA and TRK are not the problem other than taking time.  The problem is the various wires that are on the MISC block such as battery, ring voltage and a host of others.  I don't know where they go (where the other end is) deep inside the switchboard.  Hence I can't necessarily tell which wire is battery etc..  In other words I don't know which wire in the wire loom is battery, ring voltage etc. Jim