News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

701B Princess Loud Clicking on Dial Return

Started by rp2813, July 12, 2014, 12:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I searched this problem first,  but only found incidental references to the issue, possibly implicating the switch stack.  I've had it happen on a 500 before as well, but intermittently, and it somehow corrected itself.

What I have is a complete, hard-wired, matching dates 8/61 white Princess with external ringer and A/C adapter for the lamp.  All works as it should, but when I dial out, the return of the wheel clicks out each pulse through the receiver.

I don't think this is a wiring issue.  It appears this phone was installed in 1961 and never budged again (ringer case, adapter, station wiring has all been painted over), until the eBay seller ripped the entire three-component assembly from the wall, keeping everything connected.

Are there any suspect areas or chassis items to examine?  I'm puzzled as to why this would be happening when it's highly probable that no one had opened up this phone in 53 years -- until I did.

Any input or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph

poplar1

You should not hear dial tone as you wind up the dial for the first digit.

The two white wires from the dial should be connected to R and GN on the network--the same terminals where the two white wires from the receiver are connected.

Look at the contacts on the back of the dial and make sure those associated with the white leads make (close together) as soon as you begin to turn the dial and that they don't break (open) until the dial has returned to rest. The purpose of these is to short out the receiver.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

This is actually a pretty common problem, by my observation.  For some reason, it seems I have observed it on the Princesses more often than on other models. I have two Princesses close to my desk right now, and they both show this, but by differing degrees. The 1960 turquoise is definitely a little louder with the 'clicks' (blips really) than the 65 black one.

I believe I have fixed this at least once in the past by cleaning the contacts on the shunt switch of the dial (white wires). It appears the spring contacts may suffer from oxide (or dust) build-up over the decades, presenting a residual resistance across the receiver, rather than a complete shunt.

As Poplar suggested, check whether you can hear any dial tone when winding the dial. Usually when this is a problem, you can hear the dial tone faintly. Run some clean (not printed on) card stock or paper between the contacts repeatedly for cleaning, when the switch is closed.

unbeldi

White (-58) was one the first year colors of the 701B. Usually they are quite discolored when found.
What is the condition of yours?
Pics?

rp2813

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm leaning toward bad contacts after reading the posts.

As for the phone's exterior, yes, it's badly yellowed and I'll be researching possible options for restoral.  Even the mounting and handset cords are a toast color instead of white.  I don't know if anything can be done for those.  Please advise if you still would like to see pictures.

The whole phone has the scent of cheap perfume.  It probably belonged to a princess of sorts.
Ralph

unbeldi

Quote from: rp2813 on July 12, 2014, 02:44:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm leaning toward bad contacts after reading the posts.

As for the phone's exterior, yes, it's badly yellowed and I'll be researching possible options for restoral.  Even the mounting and handset cords are a toast color instead of white.  I don't know if anything can be done for those.  Please advise if you still would like to see pictures.

The whole phone has the scent of cheap perfume.  It probably belonged to a princess of sorts.

Perhaps this princess of sorts also had a smoking habit.

Yes, you can restore this quite effectively, especially on white plastic, as you don't have to worry about destroying delicate pigments.  There is quite some body of knowledge and methods here on the forum to restore plastics, using either simple Clorox bleach or more elaborate methods using high-concentration salon peroxides.

For simplicity I would start with Clorox. Cheaper than anything else.  See for example this thread:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10094.msg107371#msg107371 where I restored an ivory 500.

rp2813

Thanks for the Clorox and peroxide suggestions.  I'll pursue those once I've resolved the clicking issue.

Here are a couple of pictures:
Ralph

unbeldi

The bottom looks very nice still. No cracking of the pad.
The yellowing isn't that terrible, I bet you can get it perfect. Just clean well and bleach until the housing color is perfectly even with the white areas where the handset rested and perhaps then some more. Compare to the inside of the housing and in particular the inside of the handset which is protected the best from the elements.  Take the plungers out and remove the tiny metal screws. Bleach corrodes metal very quickly. Otherwise cover all metal with a coat of petroleum jelly, but make sure you don't get it on any surfaces to be bleached. I believe the screw posts for the base have brass inserts, cover them. If you contaminate any surface you have to scrub it clean again. The slightest grease will prevent bleaching, or drastically slow it.

rp2813

Yes, the bottom is in surprisingly good shape compared to most I've seen.  That's why I think this phone just sat and didn't get used a lot.

Thanks for the warning about the metal parts and to use petroleum jelly.  I'll want to resolve the clicking issue before I pursue restoring the case and handset, but lately it has been too hot and sticky to spend any time in the garage shop.

Ralph

rp2813

Cleaning the contacts on the back of the dial did the trick.  There's still an audible click, but it's fairly faint and not like a  Trimline anymore.  Entirely acceptable.

Now that it's worth cleaning up, I'll add that to my list of projects.

Thanks for the excellent advice guys!
Ralph