News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Elecric No. 1 not hanging up

Started by Volvoguy, July 18, 2014, 07:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volvoguy

Picked up a No. 1 the other day, and am having a hard time understanding the wiring diagram i found online. The phone dials out fine, but won't disconnect from the line. When you hang up the handset, it will disconnect the receiver, but not the line. If you call the house when it is connected, it is busy. Any ideas? Sounds like something is shorting out the hookswitch, but I can't seem to see it. The line cord has been replaced with a new modular cord, and the wire is just tucked under the screws. I am wondering about the single red wire going to the terminal strip. Shouldn't it go somewhere else too?

LarryInMichigan

As an experiment, try disconnecting one side of the ringer.

Larry

Volvoguy

Good idea. Out at the moment, but will try and update later tonight.

Volvoguy

Disconnected one side of the ringer, and the phone now works. The red wire from the ringer goes to L1, and black goes to K on the small block with three screws. The cap has 4 wires, two white are hooked up like I would expect, in series with the ringer. The black goes to BK on the same small block, brownish red wire to C.

Does this seem alright?

LarryInMichigan

It is possible that the ringer capacitor is shorted.  If that is the case, the ringer will keep the line "off-hook".

Larry

Volvoguy

Well that is what has happened, there is now continuity between the two white wires. Guess I'll go get a new cap and just bridge it across the two terminals for now. What do you think the chances of tracking down another original cap would be?

LarryInMichigan

Someone here might have one.  If not, you can ask Steve Hilsz.  He has all sorts of stuff.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: Volvoguy on July 20, 2014, 07:35:20 PM
Well that is what has happened, there is now continuity between the two white wires. Guess I'll go get a new cap and just bridge it across the two terminals for now. What do you think the chances of tracking down another original cap would be?
Steal one out of a 302 chassis. They are the same value as those in the #1.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Volvoguy

Good to know that they are the same as a 302. Never run into one of those around here though. Dave, do you have any?  I'll put a wanted as up tonight as well.

DavePEI

Quote from: Volvoguy on July 20, 2014, 11:05:33 PM
Good to know that they are the same as a 302. Never run into one of those around here though. Dave, do you have any?  I'll put a wanted as up tonight as well.
The Uniphones were NE's answer to selling phones to the independent companies. 302s were produced for Bell Affiliated companies. The Uniphone is a sideways built 302. By building it this way, it was different enough to not break their agreement not to sell 302s to independents.

The story of the Uniphone is still coming out - I would love to see a copy of that agreement. You will find a lot of Uniphones here, in the Maritime Provinces, and in Quebec, as well as in the Prairie Provinces of Canada. This is where the largest concentration of independent companies were.

The only major difference is the layout of the base, the case, and the handset (in early models). Early models had the NU and NF handsets, angular handsets significantly different from the type F handset. In later years, Uniphones were produced with type F handsets, and existing handsets were gradually changed out to G handsets.

Al components on the chassis are essentially identical to those in a 302. There are minor mounting hole difference (as in the ringers), but electrically, they are the same.

I have a lot of the history of the Uniphone on:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/telephone3.html

I have owned dozens of Uniphones over the years - I currently probably have about a dozen, several of each type.

Now, one caveat on your capacitor. Your phone has a larger capacitor than in most uniphones and 302s. It is the first time I have seen that particular capacitor used. However, the circuit is the same, and a 302 capacitor will work in its place. Try to find both the capacitor and its mount - this will clamp the capacitor to the base. The new capacitor will take a little less space inside the chassis, but is a legitimate replacement. As I mentioned the capacitor you have in yours is very unusual in a Uniphone.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

I have a really nice #1 4/30/54 base if you are interested to fix up you NE #1...Doug
Kidphone

Volvoguy

Where are you, and how much? I really only need the cap, but could be interested in the whole base.

Volvoguy

DavePEI, that's some interesting info. I had read about the No. 1 being sold to independent companies before, but good to read all the rest of the story in one spot. I'm in Vancouver, so I guess they are a little more rare on this coast. A lot of AE's here it seems. I will make a post with more pictures and details about this phone soon. Was surprised to hear that I had a capacitor that you hadn't seen before. Are there a bunch of styles? Or is it a surprise to see something different? The dial card has a 505 area code so it spent some of it's life closer to you.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Volvoguy on July 24, 2014, 01:21:52 AM
Where are you, and how much? I really only need the cap, but could be interested in the whole base.
I can send you a WE cap, they are exactly the same. I am in MA...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

How is the large capacitor attached in Volvoguy's phone?

Another solution would be to leave this capacitor in the phone--since half of it is working--and add a modern 0.5 uF capacitor for the ringer.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.