News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Tap - Bakelite 332

Started by mjryder.97, May 30, 2011, 05:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjryder.97

I have a Bakelite 332 which I have converted to work with the modern BT type socket and system.  I have converted these in the past but this one has a strange fault which someone has described to me as Bell Tap?  That is whenever you dial a number the internal bell rings as the dial returns home.  Any ideas on how to fix this would be gratefully received!  I have also attached some pictures to help!  Thanks!

paul-f

Welcome to the forum!

You have caught many of us in the US celebrating a long weekend.  Those of us who are home are probably checking the forum when we can get away from family and friends while the burgers are grilling in the back yard.

Several things come to mind:

• Reverse the polarity of tip and ring (line cord).
  • Look for a bias spring adjustment on the ringer (not obvious in the photo).
  • Increase or adjust the spacing between the gongs (usually the screw is off-center, permitting adjustment.  The gong on the left looks a bit close to the clapper at rest.  If too loud after moving the left one, adjust the right gong to move it a bit to the left to compensate.)

Enjoy!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Owain

Either:

you've wired it up wrong
or
the dial-off-normal contacts on the dial are faulty. They're supposed to open the bell circuit during dialling to prevent tinkle (wot is the scientific term for wot is appening)

check wiring at Bob Freshwater's site. Circuit diagram at Sam Hallas' site.

dsk

You could do like this:

Picture from: http://tinyurl.com/4xuv454
The spring is from a regular ballpoint pen.

When converting to UK system the contact bridging the ringer (contacts 3-4) are not commonly used when converting.
It is also a great risk of mixing polarity of the line.

dsk