News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ubuntu 17.10 just released

Started by Babybearjs, October 23, 2017, 01:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I just got the facebook notice that Ubuntu 17.10 is out! anyone who uses Linux, check it out.... I think they finally are catching up to windows 10....
John

andy1702

I think any Linux distro passed windows years ago! I haven't used anythig either microsoft for about 6 or 7 years and I've never even touched an Apple device of any kind. My regular PC and my laptop both run Linux Mint with the Matte desktop. I have another laptop used in a radio studio for playout of pre-recorded items and that one runs a modified version of Ubuntu, although it's an old Ubuntu version now.

What I never liked about Ubunto was the desktop. I understand they've fixed that now and offer a Matte desktop amongst others. I'll probably keep going with Mint though.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Babybearjs

the new desktop is really nice, though because I love playing games, windows will always be for gaming... Ubuntu and all the Linux distros are OK, but mainly for regular work and business... I saw the games, and none of them were any good. Windows had a version of "Tetravex" which I fell in love with....after windows 95... it went away... Ubuntu has it, but the game was altered so you can only play it in a 3 X 3 grid, and its not fun anymore.... the other games suck.... also, Ubuntu and the other Linux distros are only being released in a 64 bit format now because the industry is getting rid of the 32 bit platform. so, for the old computers its getting harder to find a free OS for them.... plus you used to be able to dual boot with Ubuntu, and they stopped offering that... I tried to install Linux and windows together, and Linux takes over the system, so you can't dual boot. but I basically wanted to share this because some of you love to use Linux over Windows.... and as we all know, technology is filled with rotten Apples, and broken Windows.....
John