News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dieppe Bell Canada Commemorative Commercial

Started by DavePEI, November 10, 2012, 12:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Dieppe Bell Canada Commemorative Commercial - perfect for Nov 11th (Veterans Day in the U.S., Remembrance Day in Canada and the Commonwealth of Nations). This was also the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. An old Bell Canada commercial. aired, (I think on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Dieppe raid in 1992), showing a young man calling his grandfather back home to thank him for the sacrifices he made during WW2. One of Bell's most moving videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dd1FNPx_YN4

The Dieppe raid took place on the northern coast of France on 19 August 1942. The assault began at 5:00 a.m. and by 10:50 a.m. the Allied commanders were forced to call a retreat. Over 6,000 infantrymen, predominantly Canadian, were supported by limited Royal Navy and large Royal Air Force contingents.

None of the major objectives of the raid were accomplished. A total of 3,623 of the 6,086 men (almost 60%) who made it ashore were either killed, wounded, or captured. The Royal Air Force failed to lure the Luftwaffe into open battle, and lost 96 aircraft (at least 32 to flak or accidents), compared to 48 lost by the Luftwaffe. The Royal Navy lost 33 landing craft and one destroyer. It was one of the darkest moments of the war.

Despite this was mostly a Canadian/British raid, the video will help us remember our ancestors who fought in any war. I have to admit, it literally brought tears to my eyes.

When I was a child in Brockville, I remember going to the ceremonies at the cenotaph, and seeing teary World War 1 and 2 veterans, remembering their fallen comrades. They were sad and solemn affairs, but so important.

Their sacrifices gave us much of the world we have today. Please spent time tomorrow remembering the sacrifices all our soldiers made at war, and the freedoms we have, thanks to them.

We must never forget.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Tom B

Well noted Dave.
November 11 tomorrow - Commemorate and salute the sacrifices made.... Lest we forget.
Tom

TelePlay

The 11th hour of the 11th Day of the 11th month, 1918.

Originally designated Armistice Day - the day that marked the end of the First World War. The day and hour when the Armistice was signed with Germany and the guns went silent ending the war that was fought to end all wars.

Veteran's Day is a tribute to all who served, to show appreciation for what each and every one of them did in their selfless service to their country.

AE_Collector

I played the saxophone in a Legion band from age 11 to 21 and we played at the local Cenotaph every November 11 come rain or shine and I can say that in the Vancouver area it was almost always rain. Then in the afternoon we had a dance band or "Big Band", a 16 piece band Like the Glenn Milller band that played music from the 30's and 40's for a few hours and these were some of the most memorable performances that I was ever involved in.

Occasionally I go to the Cenotaph on November 11 still but I should go every year. November 11 is either Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in Canada and it is a Stat holiday here.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on November 10, 2012, 08:20:28 PM
I played the saxophone in a Legion band from age 11 to 21 and we played at the local Cenotaph every November 11 come rain or shine and I can say that in the Vancouver area it was almost always rain. Then in the afternoon we had a dance band or "Big Band", a 16 piece band Like the Glenn Milller band that played music from the 30's and 40's for a few hours and these were some of the most memorable performances that I was ever involved in.

Occasionally I go to the Cenotaph on November 11 still but I should go every year. November 11 is either Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in Canada and it is a Stat holiday here.

Terry
You know, I don't ever remember the ceremony at our cenotaph being in the sun. It was always raining or snowing. I suppose, that was somewhat suitable. Whether I was there as part of the boy scouts, or later as a cadet, it was always a memorable occasion.

Note: Brockville had three major employers, GTE/Automatic Electric, Dupont, and Black and Decker. Many of those attending were employees of Automatic Electric honoring our soldiers.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001