"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first phone. Don't know what it is?

Started by phonefinder, August 30, 2012, 08:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonefinder

Hey guys -

I've been checking out the forum it all looks really neat.  I just found my first rotary at a yard sale today, but I can't figure out what it is.  I'll post a photo.

It says it is a Western Electric G1, but it has an odd button on it.  I found a similar image here that makes me think it might be a 5410?  http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#5300

Do you guys know what this might be?  Either way I'm pretty happy having a rotary phone.  I was able to pick it for $5.

I'm going to head out to a flea market tomorrow and look for more!  This is addicting.

I attached a jpg file with a close up of the button I'm not sure about.

1954NE500

This is either a Western Electric model 510 or 511 phone with the earlier metal finger wheel on the rotary dial. The model 511 has a thicker 2-line line cord also as well.
You should also find an exclusion key that lifts as the left side plunger on the hook switch as well.

phonefinder

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure what an exclusion key is, but I will try to figure it out.  I just took some more photos to upload in a few minutes.

phonefinder

Here are some better photos.  Getting ready to go read more about the models you suggested it might be.

Thanks.

LarryInMichigan

Welcome to the forum.  The phone looks like a model 510.  You can look it up on Paul F's great website: http://paul-f.com/we500typ.htm.  "G1" is the model number for the handset.

Larry

HarrySmith

Welcome to the forum! Not a bad first phone. Be careful! Once "phoneitis" sets in there is no known cure! Soon you will be looking for all the multi line 500 models or all the colors. Then you will need more room to store & display them ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

phonefinder

Well, I went to the flea market this weekend and came home with four more phones.

- Western Electric Country Squire
- Green Stromberg-Carlson Desk
- White Western Electric Desk
- Beige Western Electric Beige

I have already tested them and they work.  Now I just need to clean these guys up and polish them.

Thanks for all of the help and welcomes.

AE_Collector

Uh Oh....sounds like we've hooked another one......

Terry

olderdude60

Yes, my itch started as a youngster too!

Phoneitis is a disease I'll gladly endure - the itch can get pretty intense at times - going to flea markets, there's this smell when you're about to find one hiding amongst all the other .....ah, er........stuff, yeah stuff........  I was able to snag a very dirty grey WE 1963 500 desk phone hard wired too - the line and receiver cords are quite nasty!  looks like some kinda green gunk on em!

I'll post pic in find of the month!  And Welcome to the forum!

Jim

McHeath

Welcome.  Gray 500's are always sought after, good find there.