News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My New (to me) Reflector Lantern Project

Started by Doug Rose, July 17, 2017, 07:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Picked up one yesterday at the Flea Market for $10 on our way to Maine yesterday. 5AM in the morning!!. Its a Dietz and seems solid. Crack in the front reflector and no other glass. $10 I couldn't even bargain that price. Jan and I are off to the Cape for three days....Doug
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

....and he (Teleplay) said he was done picking up more lanterns.... Looks like the bug is still biting!

Nice find Doug! You seem to have the magic touch when it comes to flea market deals, even at 5 AM (!?). You should try being a fish monger with your nack for "the deal", a bit earlier in the morning, but a deal is a deal either way.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Quote from: AL_as_needed on July 19, 2017, 06:48:22 AM
....and he (Teleplay) said he was done picking up more lanterns.... Looks like the bug is still biting!

Nice find Doug! You seem to have the magic touch when it comes to flea market deals, even at 5 AM (!?). You should try being a fish monger with your nack for "the deal", a bit earlier in the morning, but a deal is a deal either way.

Yeah, so much for that.

I split this off from the "ran away from the bear" topic because of the rarity and condition of Doug's find.

This one is one I wish I would have found for $10. It's seems to be a relatively rare Junior Wagon Lantern in great shape for it's age, looks to be 1938 to the early 1940's but just a guess. The red back lens was added in 1938.

Doug has PM'd me with questions about it so I did some research. I think it's a Dietz Junior Wagon Lantern or lamp and if so, would be about half way between common and very rare. Sent a picture to lanternnet to verify the model.

Seems to only need a $8 globe and a good cleaning/de-rusting. I've also found that some of the early ones were japanned and the later ones painted black so keeping the black finish would be appropriate.

If this lantern is free of rust holes, with a globe and the rust removed it would be worth more than $100.

So, waiting for more pictures of the restoration process once Doug gets back from his weekend at the coast.

WEBellSystemChristian

Cool lantern! That would look really cool painted gloss black, but that's just me.

I don't know why, but this reminds me of the Southern Pacific Cab-Forward Locomotives: it has a blocky, modern facade, but it's still a familiar classic design behind it!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AL_as_needed

Looks like the lantern bug is spreading..... 

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 19, 2017, 04:04:01 PM
Cool lantern! That would look really cool painted gloss black, but that's just me.

I don't know why, but this reminds me of the Southern Pacific Cab-Forward Locomotives: it has a blocky, modern facade, but it's still a familiar classic design behind it!

After looking at that picture, (very cool by they way, also a big fan of those locos. A room with a view running those monsters ) I can kinda see it too. Its the creased reflector body with the lone glass lens like a caution light.

TWinbrook7