News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help with early 500 set ....

Started by LoveOldPhones, February 15, 2011, 03:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

i'm having some trouble with my 1952 500 set.  the dial tone sound is really low ... i can barely hear it.
and when i am talking to someone.... they are hard to hear as well.... but people on the other end hear me fine.

i unscrewed the  mouth piece and had it horizontal....and tried to adjust it and it seemed to work for a while but then it went back to the way it was.  i'm not sure whats going on here because when i mess around with it....and press it down it works ok for a while till i put the phone back on the reciever or turn the handset to my ear for a normal conversation position.
it just seems like its losing touch with the contacts or something.

it was doing fine.... and all of a sudden this started.
so what do you think?

thanks

Phonesrfun

It could be a number of things.

1.  Hookswitch receiver shunting contacts not opening
2.  Dial receiver shunting contacts not opening
3.  Two white receiver wires touching each other or the varistor inside the receiver cavity of the handset
4.  Wires touching each other inside the case of the phone on the network
5.  A bad receiver element.

Since the receiver was working before, and you can get it to work by fiddling with it, my guess would be number 3.

I doubt if it is a bad receiver element.

If it is not #3, then #1 or #2 would be my guess.
-Bill G

LoveOldPhones

well.... thats interesting.  i dont know a thing about things technical so if it is number 3.... how do i resolve this?

bingster

Check the second photo in the following post, and make sure the two white wires are positioned exactly as you see them in the photo.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3230.msg42967#msg42967
= DARRIN =

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: bingster on February 15, 2011, 06:37:09 PM
Check the second photo in the following post, and make sure the two white wires are positioned exactly as you see them in the photo.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3230.msg42967#msg42967

thanks i'll do that.  hope it helps

LoveOldPhones

YESSSS !  that helped !   the white wires were very close together and i moved them away from eachother and now things seem to be back to normal.  i dont know if they will stay that way but  that seems to be what it was.

thanks SOOOOO much !