News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WECO 555

Started by Fabius, July 11, 2016, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I've been wanting to get a Western Electric 555 PBX and I've come across this one on eBay, To my eyes it seems complete except power supply? But I'm not really knowledge about them. I'd like input from those that are.

http://tinyurl.com/zr8dj3r
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

rdelius

For a power supply I have used one removed from a 1A2 system.If the 555 shown in the ad does not have a magneto, You would need to make sure that the power supply you get has a ringing supply

HarrySmith

It does look complete except for the power supply. It even has the chair, which looks to have been recovered. There is a power supply for it, I can't recall the number right now, 20B2 or something like that? If you get it and want a regular handset for it I think I still have a NOS F1W with the 2 prong plug for it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Victor Laszlo

The answers are correct. Get a 20B2 power unit, or an Elgin equivalent, the one used in the ITT 501 KSU. The board you have has 6 trunks, 30 extensions. No magneto.

Fabius

Thanks for the responses. Does the power supply also provide the talk battery?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Yes.
Here is a topic with the voltages available in the 19 and 20-series power supplies.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12359.0

Shown is a 19C2 label.  Installing a ring generator module in it, makes it a 20C2.   The 20B2 is the same supply with a different external housing designed for wall mounting.  If there is space internally for mounting, the C series supply might actually be more convenient. It depends on the mounting options available.

Check out BSP Section 167-440-201 for detailed technical info on the 19 and 20 series.

Fabius

A quick search with Google finds there are several variations of telephone system power supply systems such as the Executone Isoetec 550005, which supplies 48 and 24 VDC at 1 amp and 90 volts ringing at 30 hertz 5 watts.. 
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905