News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The one that got away.

Started by Greg G., June 14, 2009, 05:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I think it's a 302?  This was an estate sale on Friday near me.  I had fully intended to get up early and get in there right when they opened.  But I work nights, and erroneously thought they wouldn't get much traffic on a weekday, so I slept in and didn't get there until 11:30.  Too my dismay, not only were both phones already sold, the entire place was picked over.  The white one was a modular, I wouldn't have taken it, but they said they sold them both to the same person.  I didn't bother asking what price.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Wasn't meant to be. That's what mom and dad always told me to think so you can justify not getting them.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

mienaichizu

there's also a decent vintage camera too

rp2813

When we had the estate sale at my mom's place, it ran on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Thursday was the biggest day.  The sale started at 9AM and people were already lined up out to the sidewalk waiting.  Most customers that day were dealers and serious collectors.  This guy kept a log of how much the take was each day, and kept track of how many bills of various denominations were used for payment.  Thursday had by far the largest number of C-notes spent.   It was clear that the pro's were all there bright and early on the first day with plenty of cash on hand.  Something to consider next time you are debating on hitting an estate sale.

Ralph

Ralph

McHeath

There's also a Batman record album, probably from the late 60s and probably one of those old timey sounding radio show programs.  I've got a couple of those albums, they are pretty fun. 

A few years ago we happened across an estate sale here in town one early morning and went in.  The place was packed, and people were scooping up stuff.  I got a 50's barometer weather station for a buck, very cool mid-cent modern style of brass and blond wood.  The place had phones, but I was not into them at that point and I merely looked and moved on, 500's, hardwired, in yellow and ivory and green.  Fellow has been a WW2 pilot in the Pacific, his workshop had lots of mementos, it was pretty sad when you start thinking about it. 

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
Fellow has been a WW2 pilot in the Pacific, his workshop had lots of mementos, it was pretty sad when you start thinking about it.  

Sometimes I feel that way too when looking at WWll stuff (and similar family mementos) on Ebay from family sales who's relatives have passed away.  I always wonder why the families don't just keep the stuff to use to help teach history to their future generations.  For example, I still have my Dad's slightly corroded gold and sliver plated insignia from his WWll Navy cap that went all through the the South Pacific islands with him when he was a minesweeper pilot. The cost about $10 on Ebay.  But I keep his next to his ashes.

Funny side story: As Dad got older we used to talk on the phone a lot about his life and I really enjoyed it.  We used to joke that since I would miss talking with him after he died, that I could keep a phone next to his ashes in memory.  Well, I certainly have the equipment for that now...a WWll era metal 302. :)
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on June 14, 2009, 12:26:36 PM
Fellow has been a WW2 pilot in the Pacific, his workshop had lots of mementos, it was pretty sad when you start thinking about it.  

I had the exact same thoughts.  This guy was a WW2 era Navy pilot.  

Here's the rest of the pictures.  Looking at them again, I'm amazed how little of it was left before noon on the first day, and I browsed the entire place looking for other stuff.  Only other thing I saw was a small 30s era art-deco bookcase, which would have been great in my small apt to replace the cheesy particle board one I have, but it was already sold!  (Picture #32)

http://www.idoestatesales.com/Upcoming%20Sales%20Folder/06-12-09%20Seattle.html

P.S. Now, don't be giving me any ideas on other collectible stuff!  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

That estate sale is really amazing.  The guy's whole life seemed to be for sale, and it all went so fast in one morning.  It is kind of sad.  But I guess I can also understand a family just wanting to pass it all on and away. 

Still if I were that family I would have kept the best stuff and set up a mini-museum on shelves on one wall; not just in his memory but really as an American in the 20th century.

Quote from: Brinybay
P.S. Now, don't be giving me any ideas on other collectible stuff!  

I'll try not to.  I'm bad enough with the phones. 

I've kept my few other mid-century "collectibles" mostly to single items that I will actually use: A vacuum cleaner, toaster, blender, pots and pans, and my trailer.  I just found they were less expensive and better built than their modern equivalents. While I greatly appreciate things like old model trains, typewriters, cameras, etc. etc., I simply wouldn't use them and I'm not good at dusting. ;)

-Matt

benhutcherson

Quote from: mienaichizu on June 14, 2009, 09:08:47 AM
there's also a decent vintage camera too

Several good looking cameras, plus a tripod, some flashbulbs, and some flash cubes.