News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction Haul

Started by newskeeto, January 09, 2017, 02:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newskeeto

It's been a long time since I have posted here. I have been extremely busy with school and that has kept me away from the hobby for quite a while. I am on winter break right now, so I finally have time to get back into telephone collecting.

Anyway, I went to a local auction where I managed to score a Northern Electric 30X, a Northern Electric 500, and an ITT (made in Canada) 500 for $20.

The ITT 500 is dated 1967 and the NE 500 is dated 1968. I have not yet had the chance to open the 30X up to see what the date on it is, but it has a metal body and the elements in the handset are both dated 11-27-45.

I'm so happy to have found these phones after such a long time without finding anything.

The plastic dial ring is a good score too. Nice finds.
Are you in Canada near Winnipeg?

newskeeto

Quote from: Autonut on January 09, 2017, 03:23:18 PM
The plastic dial ring is a good score too. Nice finds.
Are you in Canada near Winnipeg?

I'm actually in the Midwestern USA. These are the first NE phones that I have ever seen in person, let alone owned. I wish I knew how they found their way to the States.

andre_janew

I've heard that the independent phone companies in the United States sometimes used Northern Electric telephones.  Of course, I could be wrong about that and they were just simply smuggled across the border.   

compubit

The area my dad grew up in Western Michigan had a local independent before GTE took over (60s?). Lots of Northern Electric 302s and Stromberg 1543s in the area, then GTE replaced with AE80s and left the old equipment (my grandparents had 3 Strombergs and at least 2 NE 302s; my uncle had several 302 is various colors - hand painted to match the rooms in the house - but he also had an AE90 in his kitchen - I dreamed about that phone until I found this board...).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

I think that it is likely that some Telco's used some Canadian made phones over the years Andre. There were certainly many Telco's that used NT CO switches as well as Norstar and Meridian PBX's.

Welcome back Newskeeto. It is good to see you here again.

Terry

poplar1

The number card in the first photo is 204 476-, which is NEEPAWA, Manitoba.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Quote from: poplar1 on January 09, 2017, 07:02:07 PM

Yep, about 2 hour drive west of Winnipeg, Manitoba. ;)

newskeeto

Quote from: poplar1 on January 09, 2017, 07:02:07 PM
Both the 500s have number cards with the 204 area code on them, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 302 is from the same area.