News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE500 L/M works fine but headset/receiver sounds too low

Started by maduvs, September 04, 2017, 09:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maduvs

Hi! it´s my first time here, Im from brazil and bought a black Pacific State WE500 L/m some years ago by ebay, it works fine, just needed a good cleaning, but the sound in the headset is not the ideal, I almost need to scream so the other person can hear me but I listen them normally (as clear as crystal). I have no experience with eletronics, but already opened it and cleaned (with acetone in the connectors), replaced the headset cord, but none of this solve the problem...

Anyone with the same situation or with an idea what else can I do to normalize it?

Some extra infos: it´s connected with an ADSL microfilter; It´s the only rotary phone in the house, the other one is a digital cordless phone. Have no spare headset to replace.

Maria

jsowers

Maria, welcome to the Forum!

You may just need a new T1 transmitter element, but all the ones I've found on US eBay who ship to Brazil charge something like $27-$40 shipping for that tiny part, which is ridiculous. I don't suppose there's a South American eBay or some other source more local to you that would have American telephones?

You could try rapping the transmitter on top of a countertop a few times, to loosen the carbon granules. It's certainly worth a try, just in case.

I would ask for a picture of the network inside the phone, but I think a dead short there would mean no sound would get through at all, and you say shouting does get some sound through. It could also be the handset cord. If this phone is modular, with clips on the ends of the wires, then you could replace that part easily, but again the shipping would be high. You may have to just buy a second phone, which may be worth the shipping more than a transmitter, and swap parts around to fix it. Just be sure to get a 500 set of some type and if yours is modular, then get a modular phone like it, so the parts match.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do! And let us know if you get it fixed.
Jonathan

ThePillenwerfer

Just to be clear, the transmitter insert is a round thing in the bottom part of the handset — the end you speak into.  Take that out and try banging it as suggested.  Banging the whole handset is less likely to work and also risks damaging the plastic.

AL_as_needed

Check wiring while your at too. A  500 LM is intended to work off a key system, so often when "field fresh" they are still wired for the needs of that system, which may not be correct for a POTS line. Mine had volume and dial tone issues until I corrected the wiring on top of the network.  Basically just look for a 500 C/D wiring diagram (searchable on this forum) and go from there.  :)
TWinbrook7

maduvs

Some update... last night I did what you suggested with the transmitter, until it sounds like having 'sand inside', also 'scratched' a little bit in the back to increase the contact, make some tests  and it still sound like the voice is a bit far away, but I would say 50% better than before, dont need to scream anymore :)

In my next travel to the US I will buy a new transmitter on eBay (just in case), thank you all for the help and for being so nice.

Maria