News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring Pink Handset Cords???

Started by debeaune, September 13, 2014, 02:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

I have had success bringing back Pink Phones but have yet to bring back a yellowed/faded Pink handset cord.  Does anyone have any tips or ideas or can it not be done?? Thank you.

unbeldi

What is it, yellowed, faded, or both?
Usually you can't quite see that it is faded when it is still yellowed.
The yellowing can be reversed, but if you're not very careful the pink pigmentation is destroyed easily, resulting in a faded, almost white cord. A faded cord can only be restored by dying it with a suitable agent.  I think there are thread here that describe that.

debeaune

It looks faded, thanks for the input, I'll clean it and give jello a shot.  BTW, any idea how to remove this dialer, It doesn't seem to be one that screws off or you place a paperclip in the small slot and turn etc.  Thoughts?

Dennis Markham

If you're talking about removing the finger wheel, yes the paper clip method is the way it's done.  If you want to remove the dial from the two vertical brackets, there is a screw on each side of the dial (mechanism).  Loosen the screw and the dial will lift off of the bracket.

As reference in the link proved by WesternElectricBen, Rit dye is supposed to work well with the Pink cords too, although I have never tried it myself.

~Dennis

debeaune

Dennis, tried the paperclip/allen wrench but didn't make that final click once I did the full revolution like others, will try again, ty

Dennis Markham

Tim, are you doing it like it is shown here?

http://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porticus/bell/telephones-technical_dials-rotary.html

You shouldn't need an Allen wrench. 

~Dennis

debeaune

Got it Dennis, just took a little more force than I was used to, guess I'm getting soft in my old age.  Thanks Tim