News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Plastic FingerWheel Removal HELP on Daisy Number plate of 1962 233G

Started by telcosteve, March 31, 2014, 08:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

telcosteve

Ok, I have taken my share of (plastic) finger wheels off of dials - but heck if I can get this one off of now two I have tried.  Any help?

G-Man

The following document from Automatic Electric covers removal and installation of fingerwheels from various manufacturers including for WECo Acrylic and Polycarbonate Fingerwheels.http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/1730-gsp-473-820-200-i3-fingerwheel-removal-installation-tl
GSP 473-820-200-i3-Fingerwheel Removal Installation  Description: Oct 69. Covers how to remove AE, WE and SC fingerwheels. Shows use of the H-26917 Dial Escutcheon Tool and PP-4108 Dial Plate Adapter.

telcosteve

Thank you for the info. 

The Western Electric plastic Finger-Wheel on standard 500 type sets (7 type dials and above) I understand.  The issue is for removal of the Finger-wheel from the Daisy Dial on a typical three slot coin phone circa 1961 -1969.  If this is anything like their gorilla glue or concrete they used on the handset cups, I will never get the stupid thing off.

Any more thoughts?     

DavePEI

Quote from: telcosteve on April 02, 2014, 03:45:12 PM
Thank you for the info. 

The Western Electric plastic Finger-Wheel on standard 500 type sets (7 type dials and above) I understand.  The issue is for removal of the Finger-wheel from the Daisy Dial on a typical three slot coin phone circa 1961 -1969.  If this is anything like their gorilla glue or concrete they used on the handset cups, I will never get the stupid thing off.

Any more thoughts?   
Do you mean the finger wheel or the porcelain dial surround?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

telcosteve

Gentlemen,

Well I guess I am getting old.  I meant the W.E. plastic (500 set type) Finger-wheel.  NOTE:  One guy I worked with at Pac Bell always called it a thumbwheel I can't get that out of my head.

Anyways...It came off after turning the wheel all the way to the right  - and the key was keep pressure on the release tab with my "KS- 29887678 tool"  (commonly known as a bent paperclip).  :)  Then with pressing in firmly (while twisting the wheel further) off she came.  Ta Da!

Now that that is done, How can I break dial tone with dialing any digit?  This is a 234G (sorry memory issue) and as I can see Tip - (L1 in ATT lingotech) on "Y" and Ring on "R" of the switch hook.  Now the problem.  The dreaded single Coil Relay that shunts the dial contacts to keep from dialing until the person inserted the coin. 

I think I see that the posts 1 and 2 (3 is ground) are closed.  I am going to try a business card between the contact points but was wondering if the Vane needed to be in the "coin in the hopper down" position?  I will post a pick of the Green Goblin Three Coin Slot I am working on here if any one wants.

I really like this site and I will  be donating to it as soon as I can.  all people here show that our love of phones attracts the best people. Thanks again!

TelcoSteve

Mr. Bones

;)
Quote from: telcosteve on April 10, 2014, 02:49:31 PM
I will post a pic of the Green Goblin Three Coin Slot I am working on here if any one wants.
Please post away; I'd love to see the 'Green Goblin'!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

If the dial is shorted by the relay, a one-time deposit of 10 cents will fix that problem (since the relay won't operate).

This feature was added so that on coin first lines, even if you were somehow able to draw dial tone without depositing coins, you still wouldn't be able to use the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.