"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 1E1/1E3 Postpay Info Needed

Started by ESalter, December 31, 2014, 12:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

Hi Everyone-

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and has a great New Years!  Yesterday I was cleaning up several 1D2s and found one with very interesting markings on the lower housing.  It's marked on the inside and the back "1E  2-74".  The coin relay is a 1A dated 69 and the chute is dated 1967.  Out of a couple hundred singleslots I've handled, this is the first E type I've come across.  From the BSPs I have, it looks like an E type is a postpay phone and apparently doesn't have a coin relay, but instead has a clip to hold the coin vane to always collect.  It looks like the two models made were 1E1(rotary) and 1E3(rotary type, but non-dial).  Does anyone have any additional information about these type of phones?  Any specifics about how they're supposed to function (even just a flow chart of how one is used)?  What type of locations would a phone of this kind have been used?

Thanks!
---Eric

Weco355aman

The 1E1 is a rotary dial post-pay and the 1E3 is a non dial (Manuel) Post pay. The 1E3 is as common as a 100.000 dollar bill.
I had a dial blank made to convert a 1E1 to a 1E3. The western electric 1E1 also required a special central office line adapter.
RR mount or shelf mount. I have both. I can scan the circuit description of how the C.O. trunk works. There is limited information in the Coin service manual regarding the 1E series. The 1E1 has a printed circuit board mounted where the 1A coin relay mounts. Both 1E has the vane flap set for coins to go into the coin box. Also there will be a on the upper housing different Phrase placket where the 1 2 3 placket is. You have a uncommon single slot phone. The 31a type coin chassis will be marked POSTPAY. This would be a great phone for you to put up photos for the others to see. Inside and out.
I would lick a photo of the PCB that's mounted on your hopper. There was 2 different  units made. Going from memory
I think there was a 50 and 51 series PCB made.     
Phil

ESalter

Hi Phil-

If you would be willing to scan your circuit description of the coin trunk, I'd very much be interested in seeing it.  Sadly, all I have that appears to be original is the lower housing with the vermillion marks.  The phone itself was converted to a 1D2 long ago and all the rest of the original parts are long gone.  My hopes were to gather enough information to piece a 1E1 back together.  We are in the process of designing a singleslot coin controller that will work prototypically with both CF and DTF phones.  Now that this one came up, I'm hoping we can make it work to prototypically control an E type as well.  If you have any original E types, I'd very much like to see photos of it inside and out, a closeup of the instruction plaque on the faceplate would be very helpful too.

I'm headed to Minnesota until the weekend, when I get back I'll take a couple photos of what I have.

Thanks!
---Eric

Kimball321

I think 1E1 pay phones would work with the polarity reversal on answer shorting out the microphone till the local call fee is deposited.  The 1E3 would just be on a normal line because the operator had to verify coin deposit.
I collect payphones :)

poplar1

I believe the 1E, like the WE 193G and 212 postpay sets, was used with Western Electric Community Dial Offices. Rather than shorting the transmitter, a resistor and diode were momentarily placed in series with the line when a coin passed through. This signaled the coin trunk to remove the second "dial tone" that was placed on the line when the called party answered. So this was a different setup than the Automatic Electric "semi-postpay" sets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Weco355aman

Poplar1 wins the prize. A free 3 dollar bill.
This is correct. WE did things a little different.
Phil

Payphone installer

I used to work on the E1 payphone, there was the 1E1 which was rotary,the 1E2 which was touch tone. They were used by Bell companies that had CO's usually aquired by the purchase of other telephone companies. You dialed your number got two beeps and then you had a very short period of time to deposit your money. If you did not get it in,in time your call would not go through. When payphones changed to 25 cents if you had 5 nickels it was impossible to get the money in in time. They also generated a lot of complaints because people would put there money in and lose it before they dialed. They were also out when the majority of the payphones were CF or coin first this added to the confusion. The plate in the corner of the phone at the top said STOP had a arrow and said read card below. Out of 12,000 phones at Cinti Bell there were probably  100 of these max. I have all the models in my collection including a couple of the 1E3's which were the manual version. There were two dial blank plates one had a telephone number plate like the TT dial the other  a rotary number plate. I have booth versions. These phones are VERY rare. The hopper is fitted with a special insert.The totalizer is set to post pay and the chassis is a very simple version. There is a dial housing wired special of course there is no dial but you still need the switch hook.

Kimball321

Did not know that they made a touch tone "E" type never seen it mentioned in the Bsp's so maybe it was "created" unoffically by replacing the upper housing of a rotary "E" with a touch tone housing.  Would be nice to see pictures of your collection too
I collect payphones :)

Payphone installer

1E3 Manual Postpay