News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 2C2 Type Coin telephone Set

Started by Jf510, January 18, 2015, 03:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

Hi....I picked up a Western Electric 2C2 Type Coin Telephone Set still in the original box from a friend that I used to work with at Western Electric many years ago. How he got this out of the building I didn't ask but he didn't want it anymore. I can't find very much information on it and was wondering if anyone knew about it. Is it collectible at all? Can it be converted to work. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

G-Man

I believe someone on the TCI list had n.o.s. flush-mounting boxes for them. There should be documentation for them in the TCI Library though Phil McCarter is the guru for these payphones and you may want to contact him.

AE_Collector

Good to see you back here G-Man. You've been AWOL since last April!

Terry

Jf510

Thanks for the info. I am new to this forum so how would I contact Phil McCarter?

ESalter

I know quite a bit about them as well.  What specifically would you like to know?  You need a T key to open them, once inside if you hook a line to the T and R terminals on the chassis board, it will work like a normal phone.  If you want to know more about the coin collecting functionality, I can explain that also.

---Eric

Jf510

oh wow thanks..I remember seeing those keys years ago at Western Electric. I will check out ebay and get one then I will hit you up with more questions.

Russ Kirk

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 19, 2015, 05:20:03 AM

Terry

I second that! Missed your great contributions.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

ESalter

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 19, 2015, 05:20:03 AM

Terry

I third that, too. Welcome back! You have been missed!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Kimball321

I looks like your phone was made right after the Bell System break up because there is no Bell System logo on the face plate.  Also on the coin return it says only "made by western electric".  Right after the break up they started doing that eventually they started making coin returns with no writing except for "push for coin".  If you haven't opened it how do you know it's a C type, because it could be a D type, only way to tell is if it opened.  Having a panel phone is pretty unusual don't see too many of them although I know of 2 locations In the Chicago area where I live that still have them.  Usually they just cover up a standard set with a stainless steel panel if they want a panel type phone.
I collect payphones :)

Jf510

Thanks Eric..I will order one as for the other question. It was after the break-up.  The date on the box is March 20, 1985. I know this is the original box and that my friend got it from Western Electric in San Leandro back then where we both worked. The rest of the info on the box is as follows: 101789253 (probably a part number), 2C2-67A Coin Tel, One H.A.C.-25 I.R., 70.7lbs. Of course I opened the box but I have not taken the phone out of the box or opened it up yet. That's why I came in here with my concerns and try to get educated before doing so. I hope that info helps.

Jf510

Eric....I just purchased a key on ebay so when I get it I might hit you up with some questions. Thanks.

ESalter

Sounds fine, anything you need, just ask.  When you get into it, I'd be very surprised if it's actually a C type phone.  My guess would be it has D type components.  You never know though, I'm anxious to see what it turns out to be.

---Eric

Jf510

Hey Eric..I took a picture of the box to show that it says 2C2 then I tilted the phone up from the box and on the top of the phone it definitely said 2C2. I won't know about the inside until I get that key. What's the difference of the 2C2 & 2D2?