"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Podor's phone collection

Started by podor, February 07, 2015, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

podor

Greetings!

I'm new to the forum and a returning phone collector. I got back into it last year after not touching them for 20 plus years. It all started back up when my daughter asked me if there were phones when I was a kid. Nothing I have is extremely rare, but everything is in use, which is the fun part.

The first picture is my daily driver. It is a '81 2565HKSM with a matching 680a from '81. The 108A (81 also) is in the next picture. I wanted to make sure it had the BSP recommended 3' distance :)

The next is a red 565HKM with a referb date of '81 (totally unplanned dates). It may be one of my favorites

The next is my 2851CM. It is my first restoration. It was badly discolored and the hand set was badly scratched. The body turned out perfect, but the handset is still a little rough. I have some NOS caps coming.

The next 3 are a 2830CM, 565HD, and 565HDX. The 2830CM isn't too special, but my kids like it because of all the buttons. The 565HD may be the most collectable. It is a complete numbers matching '62 with the exclusion switch installed. The hand set on it is a replacement G1 since the original is cracked. I still have it set aside though. The 565HDX is a numbers matching '65 with a 2 gong ringer, which is kind of rare. I will be getting a 500MM to use with the exclusion on the '62 shortly

All this is driven by a 551B. I patched into the common audible to be able to control the ringers on each of the 3 25 pair cables connected to the KSU. That way I can keep it quiet if I need to. Line one is from a magic jack, line 2 is my XLink bluetooth gateway and 3 and 4 are connected to the house, which will be in a separate post.

WesternElectricBen

Nice collection, all so clean and well presented. It's cool to see you have those multilines hooked up to a 1A2 unit.

To be honest, I would like to have a speakerphone setup like you have. They are very cool when completed and working.

Ben

podor

Part 2
I have a split level house, so it can be difficult to get a message across, like "dinner is ready". So, I have a Viking auto ringdown box controlling the house on the red/green and black/yellow pairs in the house. The only land line we have is a magic jack in my office, which is on it's own feed, so the house wiring was unused. The red/green pair are for the main level/kitchen, the black/yellow feed the upstairs, downstairs and the garage. I added a ring amplifier to the black yellow feed to make everything ring. Both sides go into the KSU for line 3 and 4.

The first is a princess phone, refurbished in '79. It is the kitchen phone.

Next is a 2500DM, refurbished in '80. Everything inside is '70. It also has a G6 handset. It's in the main level living room.

The next is a 500DM that I got along with my '62 565HD and another 500 packaged together on Ebay for $30. It's in the downstairs TV room.

The next is a 565HK numbers matching from '69. It's in the master bedroom. I have it wired to both lines so we can call the other 2 levels if needed. It rings on the same line as the others on the top level.

The other 2 phones on the upstairs are a cheep version of the Mickey Mouse phone from the mid '80s in the girls room and an old ITT 2564 in my son's room. I also have a cheep Sony wall phone in the garage.

podor

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 07, 2015, 08:04:36 PM
Nice collection, all so clean and well presented. It's cool to see you have those multilines hooked up to a 1A2 unit.

To be honest, I would like to have a speakerphone setup like you have. They are very cool when completed and working.

Ben

Thanks! The speaker phone is by far the most expensive part and the most challenging. They bring big $, plus getting everything to connect was challenging. I got lucky with the speaker and transmitter. I bought the speaker on ebay, NOS for a good price. The seller sent the transmitter by accident, which was also NOS and not listed yet. He was very nice and we were able to work something out on both. The 82b connection block to make it all work is super hard to find, so I had use a 223C ($60+ shipping) wire block, which is used for Comkey phones. Then I bought a 149b block that breaks out the spare pairs. Of course there isn't any info out there on how to wire it, so I had to use 3 different BSPs to get it wired. But, it's worth it. It is great for my 2 hour conference calls.

Mike