News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay Gamble

Started by Doug Rose, February 14, 2010, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

D/P....that is exactly how the phone looks......bummer...

Dougpav...I hope not! I didn't open the phone. Its just a really unusual sound, very smooth. I'll try to get this puppy working, but I don't have a lot of experiences with the Norths....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Well...here is the finished product, no its not mottled brown, but its a really nice black North Galion dated 3/45. These were made mostly of WE parts. This was a WWII phone, It is in working condition and even had the schematic still attached. Thanks to the Steve from AZ, I have a new finger wheel for it. Gamble LOST, but a really nice phone has been save from the trash....Doug
Kidphone

Craig T

That turned out great Doug, nice job sticking with it. The original paperwork inside is a major bonus!

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Doug.  Is that a metal housing or Bakelite?  The early ones were metal.  I  don't think I've seen one this early.  Very nice.

McHeath

Excellent job.  That paper label inside is pretty cool as well, wonder exactly why it was only for desk type phone?

Doug Rose

Dennis...Its a bakelite housing that shined up really nice. Dated 3/45, North made phones for signal corps for WWII, but my best guess, this looks like it was non military....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, one more question....

The dial card retainer---Is that one of those covers that slips over the normal ring or is that one a one-piece ring?  It looks higher that the rest and very much like those covers that fit over the ones that left the factory.

The ones I'm talking about are seen in this thread.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=580.15

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
That is the normal dial card retainer ring. It snaps over the screwed on holder under it.

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Doug:

Is the label glued over the capacitor or does it flip over to reveal the schematic diagram of the phone?

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Thanks Dan/P, I guess I've never seen that set up.  That must be an original North dial as opposed to the AE's that they often put in them.

JorgeAmely

Dennis:

That is an original North dial which is very thin and uses a flat steel ribbon as a spring. Featured also in the North 541 model.

Jorge

Doug Rose

Quote from: JorgeAmely on February 22, 2010, 01:06:21 PM
Doug:

Is the label glued over the capacitor or does it flip over to reveal the schematic diagram of the phone?

It flips open.....Doug
Kidphone

finlover

What a beautiful example!  You did a terrific job restoring it.  I really like the early numbers only dial.  When you first posted the auction photo, I almost gave my opinion that it was black, but I didn't want to burst your bubble.  Next time I won't hold back.  Still, I'm glad you rescued it.  It couldn't have gone to a better home! :)

Doug Rose

Greg....I was hoping against hope. I wasn't convinced it was brown and it wasn't a huge shock. Disappointment? Hell yes!! Unfortunately their is no space in the phone room. I have a beautiful metal north with original paint  that isn't going anywhere, so this might have to go back to where I found it....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

I might be able to find a spot for it :)

Larry