News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric D1, early with Aluminum Base

Started by wds, February 13, 2015, 05:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Another nice Ebay find this week.  Really nice D1 - patent number along the bottom edge, 1508424, which is the Aluminum base.  The inside was pretty shiny, looked like it had been nickel plated until I realized it was aluminum.  Dated '31, with bullet transmitter on the handset.  Paint is beautiful.  I don't normally collect these, but this one is a keeper.  Appears to have original cords that look like new.  it didn't have a number card, so I put a black one on to keep it all black.  I was the only bidder at $30. 
Dave

HarrySmith

All that about the aluminum base but no picture.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

All original.  There is a little wear on the paint on the cradle, but almost no wear on the handset.  It's almost impossible to find these without some corrosion under the paint, but this one is clean.     
Dave

wds

Some more pictures.  The "D" is stamped on the back, but I don't see the 1.  Maybe the 1 isn't stamped deep enough to show through the paint.  There are raised letters next to the date, but I can't quite make it out.  Looks like a 5 next to a backwards E.
Dave

unbeldi

Do the cords have matching dates?
Seems to me the cords were probably not installed by Western.  I think they would have hooked each to the opposite post, so that the mounting cord enters on the side of the switch stack, while the handset cord enters towards the side of the single R terminal.  This provides the shortest distance for each conductor to its terminal, while avoiding to cross over the switch springs.  The while handset conductor was often strung behind the posts and down to its terminal.

Very nice looking example.  The missing 1 of D1 is interesting, but it  definitely has the D1 switch arrangement.
I like these slightly domed apparatus blanks. It's the original kind, sometimes one finds D mountings where people have used a 302 dial blank, after they probably stole a 4H dial, and it looks stupid.

Just needs an as nice looking 586A subset to make it RING!!!.
(I don't see a black conductor for AST)

wds

I don't see any dates on the cord restraints inside the phone.   Considering how clean the phone and handset are I would be surprised that the cords would have needed to be replaced.  Even the wool bottom cover is still there.  I didn't pull the handset apart to check the date on that side of the cord.  The other end of the line cord had been cut. 
Dave

poplar1

H3B and date should be on the restraint inside the handset. The mounting cord may have been dated on the subset end.
I agree that the cords are reversed. So are the S-hooks: The cords should lie closer to the rim.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

3 days before I bought the one above, I purchased this one from Ebay mainly for the ringer box.  Turns out it's Aluminum also.  Has the D1 USA on the back, and no patent numbers around the bottom.  it's dated everywhere I 36.  Both cord restraints are dated IV 35.  Since it seems to have the dial cords I will drop a nice #4 in it and put right beside the other Aluminum D1.  The cords are like new like the other one, but for some reason someone cut the handset cord off right at the handset.  I will try to repair the cord and put that marked cord restraint back on.  This time it has the leather base, and the seamed E1 has the bullet transmitter again.  The inside of the base has the raised letters 6 - A and a star.  That makes two Aluminum D1's, E1 handsets with bullet transmitters.  Good haul for one week I think.
Dave

wds

Dave

poplar1

Dave, can you check the transmitter dates? The date is stamped on the side, visible if you first remove the Bakelite collar.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

There two dates, I 36 like the other parts, then a F - 4/37.  what is that 2nd date? 
Dave

Phonesrfun

My first knee jerk reaction was that it might be a refurb date, but only slightly a year after the original manufacture date of January 1936, maybe not.  Maybe the original aluminum body was made for the bullet type transmitter, then converted to an F-type holder in April of 1937.  That's my guess.  Strike that.  I see now from your first picture that your transmitter is the bullet type, so it wasn't what I thought.
-Bill G

Mr. Bones

Very nice D1's! 8)

I have several, in varying states, from complete to parts. They will all come together, eventually. ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on February 14, 2015, 08:10:41 PM
There two dates, I 36 like the other parts, then a F - 4/37.  what is that 2nd date?

I would think those both are refurbishing dates, because I don't think they even made 395B barrier-button transmitters new anymore after ca. 1935, when they introduced the 625A.  The F1 transmitter was introduced in 1934.