News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Off-Line "Issues"

Started by Dennis Markham, July 25, 2013, 11:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

As some of you may know, the Forum was off-line for a period of time in the early hours of July 25th.  The plug was actually pulled by the server as a result of jamming of the e-mail at the server end by spambot computers attempting to gain access to the Forum.

We (I) do not use the server e-mail directly, but indirectly when someone registers for an account on the Forum an e-mail is generated through the server and the registrant receives a computer-generated response.  Then I get a notification that a registration is awaiting moderation (approval).  

In an effort to get the Forum back on-line, the e-mail has been disabled until such time that an alternative procedure can be put in place to filter out spambot registrations.  A prospective member can still join and e-mail me per the Registration Instructions and I'll be able to log-in and approve their registrations.

This does not seem to have an impact on personal messages sent from member to member through the system.

I will keep you all up-dated.  We should be back in business for normal activity now.

Thanks for your patience.

~Dennis

Dennis Markham

Update/Correction:

Users can send personal messages through the system.  However, you will NOT get an e-mail notification of the message.  You will have to look on your home page for new messages and view them via the Forum.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

Last night I was getting a error message when trying to get into the forum.  I thought something must have been going on.

I am so glad you are doing what you can to keep the crap and other issues out of the forum.  That all goes in as part of making this forum experience a very nice and positive one.

Thanks, Dennis, for your excellent work!

-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on July 25, 2013, 02:38:48 PM
Last night I was getting a error message when trying to get into the forum.  I thought something must have been going on.
I was also getting the same message this morning. I emailed Dennis, but I am quite sure at that time you were still sleeping, Dennis (5:30 our time). I also emailed Stub, Terry and Jeff L. - they all reported having the same problem, so it sure seemed to be a system wide problem...

Anyway, Dennis - thanks for getting it running again!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Is the email notification of PM's still down? I haven't had the chance to play with that as we are travelling again....still trying to get the hang of retirement!

Terry

Dennis Markham

Yes Terry, it is still down.  I am contemplating leaving it that way.  Each person would have to check for his/her messages when they log in to the Forum.  By leaving the e-mail function disabled at the server it pretty much eliminates the problem with the spambot computers attempting to gain access.  Unless a registrant sends me the obligatory e-mail to the e-mail address provided in the Registration Instructions (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=708.0) I will only see those awaiting moderation by logging on.  I see that where others see their messages----on the top left side of the page.

New England Tel.

Dennis,

Will this affect reply to topic and other notifications to email, or just PM notifications?

Thanks,

Bob
-Bob Archambault

Dennis Markham

Bob, it only will effect how you read your messages.  Instead of getting an e-mail notification that you have a personal message, you'll have to look when you log in to the forum.  This will also eliminate the situation that has occurred on numerous occasions when I receive a personal message bound for someone else (via my e-mail).  In order to reply to a message that came via one's e-mail, one had to click the link at the bottom of that e-mail.  That would then open up the Forum software on one's browser for the reply.  If the person hit "reply" on their e-mail client the message would then go to the Administrator (me) and the person they intended on receiving the message would not get it.  I would then have to send the sender a message saying, hey you sent this to me instead of whomever...............

I see this as a minor inconvenience, if any.  The benefit outweighs the negative.  Even if we were to put more spam filters in place, eventually (I'm told) the computer bots get through.   I guess the hope is that eventually a "fake" user will get approved and then infiltrate the forum with spam or worse.

~Dennis

AE_Collector

I could easily live without the email notification of new PM messages. It might be more of a loss to members who don't spend as much time on here as we do as email notifications might bring them back to CRPF more frequently than they would otherwise visit.

Since the email is not happening at the moment it is a chance to try it this way and evaluate in awhile.

Terry

TelePlay

Dennis,

I'm with Terry on that about PM notifications.

I did notice the forum was down this morning but your site was working so figured it had something to do with the forum.

And, thanks Dennis for keeping it clean. It's not easy work but your work is greatly appreciated.

Doug Rose

Agreed ...no email needed.....read your messages. Simple?

Dennis ....you are the man...I speak for all of us....you done good...as usual....Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Thanks for the notice Dennis!

I like that you changed it so we didn't get the email, because before we would have to come to the sight.

Ben

Mr. Bones

In the face of the SpamBot onslaught,  I wholeheartedly endorse your decision, Dennis!

In the previous case, as young master Ben stated, why, we already had to go back to the Forum to reply, or risk sending you an email! ;)

I am all for the checking of my personal messages, if it helps prevent site corruption :o :o, and server crash ( :o :o :o :o :o), with a corresponding loss of the accumulated knowledge database that we have here! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Best regards! If any of you PM me, please allow a little more response time...

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

McHeath

Thanks for keeping this boat afloat Dennis! 

Perhaps we should vote you a pay raise. ;D