"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

underground cable repair / splicing

Started by princessphone, March 23, 2017, 09:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

Hi there,
I plan to do a little landscaping on the front lawn soon. I do know that Bell has an underground cable running from the road to the house because I dug it up one time (lucky no damage). I was really surprised that it wasn't really buried very deep. In the event that I do sever or damage the cable, what would be a good method to repair/splice it. I would prefer not to get Ma Bell involved.
Thanks, John           

nolan613

You can use the free 811 service. They will contact each utility that have underground services in your yard and will mark line location for free.
Success is not final,
failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts

Winston Churchill

princessphone

Jim Stettler

If you don't call 811  the repair cost is on you. Have them locate the entire property so you know the "critical" areas., whenever you plan on digging around the utilities, get a new locate to protect yourself.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

princessphone

Thanks Jim S.
Allow me to ask the same question in another way. How would a telecom service person repair/slice and seal a 4 conductor underground cable? I suppose one could twist/solder the 4 leads together, silicone them, wrap them up with tape and bury it back in the lawn. I was just wondering if there is a better/proper method.
Thanks, John

AE_Collector

Butt splice the two cables using scotch lok's (jelly beans) or Amp Splices. Then we had what we called "Click-it's", a grease filled two part enclosure that you install around the spliced cable and it "clicks" when properly closed. You would need two of them and a couple of feet of appropriate cable.

Here in BC we did very little direct hurried cable. Almost all is grease filled cable in ridged pvc conduit.

Terry

princessphone

Hi Terry,
Thanks for the sound advice.
John

Victor Laszlo

http://uraseal.com/p/30/ck200-buried-service-wire-splice-protection-kit-for-2-6-pair-drop-wire-138-grams-encapsulant-2-od-tube

The rules where I used to work:

>>811 and other locating services will not tone out/mark out on private property, unless they are paid to do so.

>>Buried service wire (BSW) locating, excavation, repairs and maintenance are the responsibility of the private property owner.

>>The BSW is owned by the property owner.

These rules were bent occasionally by local management if the subscriber was loud enough or rich enough.

You can make your own buried splice enclosure from a small plastic container of the appropriate size, (a pill bottle is big enough for a 2-pair wire) filled with silicone caulk or PL adhesive. Be sure to bury the splice with the open end pointing down, so that ground water will not get into it.  Bury the splice in a hole that you have filled with a couple of handfuls of gravel for drainage.

princessphone

Hi Victor,
Thanks for info. Where I live most utilities will come and mark out buried lines free of charge including Bell. However any work or repair may not be free. Also you may have wait for some time.
John