News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How's this for an Ebay "Barn Find"

Started by wds, November 02, 2014, 12:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I'm willing to bet it was just some twit who ran the bidding up just to be a PITA (that or the seller was being naughty and shill-bidding), but you'd have to be really dedicated to Mercedes models to want to buy that, even if it sold again just for £99, it'll cost as much if not more than a decent working example... :-\

As for turning over, being a Mercedes lump, it probably would, but if it's had Petrol in there for 20 years, you can bet it's well and truly gone stale and plugged up the fuel system (I think that engine is carbed too), so it's definitely a non-runner, the engine would probably work after some cleaning [insert insane laughter here!!!], but the rest of the car, not so sure about... ???

I think had it been an old British Leyland car, it'd have just rusted away to nothing (after collapsing under the strain of all those pigeon torpedoes of course), but those old W123s are built like tanks, so maybe someone with the right dedication could make it work again, but then again, it may just be a strip-for-spares car and the rest of it scrapped...  :-\

Dan/Panther

Mercedes Benz made for the US market, are quite different animals than are their European counterparts.
Yes I do Love a Challenge, too bad it's not a phone.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 03, 2014, 12:50:34 PM
Mercedes Benz made for the US market, are quite different animals than are their European counterparts.

A lot of non-US cars made for the US markets are very different to the originals, if that 200 was made for the US, it'd probably only have 40 horsepower due to the emission control laws over there, that and many other native-brand imposed "safety features" that make them unappealing...  :-\

As for a challenge, yeah, that car is a challenge for sure... ;D

david@london

.....that's a very nice old sixties jag, next to the merc. those are fetching huge prices now.

full spec on the jag please twocvbloke.

twocvbloke

david@london

rusty indeed....... & with its own generous serving of guano.
i wonder if it'll ever look like this again ----->   

twocvbloke

Quote from: david@london on November 03, 2014, 04:09:54 PMi wonder if it'll ever look like this again

Depends on if it gets bought and restored, but apparently it's not for sale so, who knows... :)

wds

You guys are in luck - this car is back on the market. 

http://tinyurl.com/pafswhr
Dave

twocvbloke

Quote from: wds on November 03, 2014, 04:19:35 PM

http://tinyurl.com/pafswhr

*ahem*

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 03, 2014, 08:17:18 AM
Looks like it's been relisted:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161471666889

I'm half tempted to go view it in person, but, ain't got the money to get there at the moment... ::)

;D

baldopeacock

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 03, 2014, 08:17:18 AM
I'm half tempted to go view it in person, but, ain't got the money to get there at the moment... ::)

If you give it a little more time it's sure to have more guano on it.

twocvbloke

Quote from: baldopeacock on November 03, 2014, 05:44:44 PMIf you give it a little more time it's sure to have more guano on it.

Well, that's a given, where there's pigeons, there's always poo...

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on November 03, 2014, 04:19:35 PM

Yes it is and at about the same bid up price as the first time around. However, none of the seven bidders from the first listing is bidding on the re-list. The re-list has only 3 bidders who are new to this car listing. That is strange, I think, or, after a little more thought, maybe not . . .   ::)

twocvbloke

I've noticed it's cropped up on a couple of car forums, so, it could be them bidding it up for the fun of it, but then it could be people who know the seller hoping to get the seller more than it's worth, which ain't what they're bidding...  ???

twocvbloke

Seems the ol' poopmobile is £4 off it's last sale price with no more bids (yet), makes me wonder if it'll be back up within a day or two... ???

baldopeacock

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 05, 2014, 01:53:17 PM
Seems the ol' poopmobile is £4 off it's last sale price with no more bids (yet), makes me wonder if it'll be back up within a day or two... ???

Maybe so, and it'll still be a crappy deal.