News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My co-workers nice D1

Started by Greg G., November 05, 2014, 11:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

A co-worker of mine said his dad, a retired phone company employee from the days of Ma Bell, gave him an "old phone" to use.  When I asked him to describe it, it was clear it was a D1 with an E1 handset.  He said his dad rigged it so he could take a call on it, but couldn't dial out.  He wanted me to take a look at it, so he brought it over. 

Very nice D1 with a seamless E1 handset!  Bullet-style transmitter, original number card, 5H dial dated IV 40 rotates and returns fine.  I was really tickled that the handset parts came apart w/o much hassle, although it took just a little bit of coaxing with a hairdryer, but not much.  I cleaned and lubed the threads for him and since I have a few 302 bases and covers on hand, I paired it up with one.  The bullet-style transmitter sounded just fine, but that was just muttering a few words, I've never used one as a working phone.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JimH

Looks like a nice set.  I can't recall anyone on the forum that used a "bullet" transmitter for everyday use.  I would be curious to know how it sounds on the other end for a whole conversation.  I've never used one before.  Was this any better than the old sidetone transmitters on the sticks?
Jim H.

Greg G.

Quote from: JimH on November 05, 2014, 11:46:04 PM
Looks like a nice set.  I can't recall anyone on the forum that used a "bullet" transmitter for everyday use.  I would be curious to know how it sounds on the other end for a whole conversation.  I've never used one before.  Was this any better than the old sidetone transmitters on the sticks?

I would be curious too, since it sounded ok, but I've always heard (no pun) that the audio quality of bullet transmitters was bad.  I'll make arrangements with my co-worker sometime to test it out when he has it plugged in at home.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e